Who makes the Summit "Air Gap"?

-

MOhorsePAR

Reaction score
I ran across this intake from Summit.

Summit 226042 Intake Square Bore SBM 340-360

s.gif

Any idea who makes it for them? Any feedback on how it performs?

Thanks!
Steve

Professional Products. They are a knock off of the Edelbrock version made in China. I performs the same as the Edelbrock version because it pretty much is. Quality of machining and finish is not as good as the Edelbrock version though.

The quality on the one I saw was pretty poor. I wouldn't pay money for the one I saw, but I know there are a lot of guys running them. The one I saw needed some work to even bolt onto the engine. If the holes don't line up, I don't want it.

I've heard good and bad, i think they work okay. there is extra casting that over hangs the engine, it is cheap, it works, but it looks cheap.

i'd spend my money with the american company, that also keeps coming out with performance parts for our engines.

QUICK! Throw your PC's in the garbage NOW! The Intel CPU is manufactured in China or the Phillipines (AMD in Singapore), the motherboards, video cards, were most likely manufactured in Taiwan.

BTW...the FABO server uses a Supermicro board, which is made in Taiwan.

We better run around naked and shoeless too!!!!! Just kidding I agree buy....well north american products when possible! But its hard to get around without supporting chinas economy, even the north american auto makers support it with off-shore parts to build their cars.:munky2:

I bought an Air Gap last month from summit for $249. It was the "product" of the month so I also got a $20 gift card. So basically I got the intake for $230. Maybe you can still get this deal too.

I bought one several months ago. No sooner than I unpackaged the manifold I promptly sent it back to Summit Racing because of the poor quality. The manifold is drilled to fit the Magnum Motor or the Small Block. Whatever holes you don't use, they provide you with plugs to seal those holes.
So, also, from appearance standpoint it wasn't that great. I went with the Edelbrock manifold. The quality and appearance was far superior.

Buy an American made product when you can. Put it this way the kid in China who is making this product doesn't know what it's for, and even if he did he couldn't afford to buy one much less own a car for it. Big business that moves their manufactoring offshore is in danger of one day having no one to sell their product to here because no one will be working in order to afford to buy it, and the kid overseas can't afford to buy it either since his employer doesn't pay him enough if at all.

I bought one several months ago. No sooner than I unpackaged the manifold I promptly sent it back to Summit Racing because of the poor quality. The manifold is drilled to fit the Magnum Motor or the Small Block. Whatever holes you don't use, they provide you with plugs to seal those holes.
So, also, from appearance standpoint it wasn't that great. I went with the Edelbrock manifold. The quality and appearance was far superior.

I have one of the Crosswind manifolds and was parked next to a car with an Air-Gap at a show last fall. The overall appearance of the CrossWind was superior to the Air-Gap. The casting had a much smoother finish.

The best feature of the CrossWind is the dual mounting pattern. Edelbrock could have easily designed there manifold the same way but chose to have two different manifolds and charge a $75 dollar premium for the one drilled for magnum heads.

AS far as it being a copy of the Air-Gap again being parked next to an Air-Gap and having the opportunity to closely compare them there are so many differences that it's just not a copy. It's like saying an Mopar M1 dual plane is a copy of a Edelbrock Performer or the other way around. The only thing they have in common is the open plenum which is certainly not a unique feature to the Air-Gap.

I have one of the Crosswind manifolds and was parked next to a car with an Air-Gap at a show last fall. The overall appearance of the CrossWind was superior to the Air-Gap. The casting had a much smoother finish.

The best feature of the CrossWind is the dual mounting pattern. Edelbrock could have easily designed there manifold the same way but chose to have two different manifolds and charge a $75 dollar premium for the one drilled for magnum heads......

I've noticed that price difference, too. But I'm building an LA 360, so it's a moot point. I've been wondering if the crosswind is American built or Chinese. I _will_ buy American, _when I can._ Or maybe I should say "as long as I can", since we seem determined to send all of our manufacturing "offshore". I read somewhere, years ago, that one day we'll all just be selling each other Big Macs and cocaine in this country.

I've noticed that price difference, too. But I'm building an LA 360, so it's a moot point. I've been wondering if the crosswind is American built or Chinese. I _will_ buy American, _when I can._ Or maybe I should say "as long as I can", since we seem determined to send all of our manufacturing "offshore". I read somewhere, years ago, that one day we'll all just be selling each other Big Macs and cocaine in this country.

The crosswind is imported by an american company,but its made in China..stick with the "real" American made one Edelbrock,just say no to cheap chinese ripoffs!!!..

The crosswind is imported by an american company,but its made in China..stick with the "real" American made one Edelbrock,just say no to cheap chinese ripoffs!!!..

Edelbrock valve covers are made in Taiwan...just in case you didn't know.

Edelbrock valve covers are made in Taiwan...just in case you didn't know.

Yes,i do know that..i don't like the way they look anyways,and being imported is just another reason not to buy them,now the intake and heads on my motor are made in AMERICA...

Yes,i do know that..i don't like the way they look anyways,and being imported is just another reason not to buy them,now the intake and heads on my motor are made in AMERICA...

THAT'S GREAT! :cheers:Thanks for clarifying since you original statement was misleading...

-
Back