Who thinks I'm crazy?

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
Well, for the last year or so I have been planning a 408 stroker build and getting all the parts down on paper as far as what I will use and what it will cost. I was a couple days away from the machine shop when I read an article in my latest mag where they added a cam (xe285), carb (850 demon), intake (M1), and headers to a bone stock spec 383 and ended up with 450 hp and around 460 torque. It got me thinking, why not do a big block instead. So, needless to say I am scouring the area for a 383 or 400 to build instead. Am I nuts to take this on or should I just go with my gut? Ever since I rode in Gary's (pushrod) 512 inch dart, I've been wanting a big block instead. I havent really accumulated too many parts for the stroker and I bought a short block, a set of magnum heads, and an Eagle 4" cast crank, so there is a lot of little stuff to get along the way. I just think that if I can find a complete 383 or 400 for $350-$450 bucks I'll be better off money wise and end up with just as much power or more than the stroker? What do you guys think?

Then comes the next question about......why not a 440? I keep thinking about spending my extra coin on a 5-speed stick for my '69 Dart. The only money I'm gonna spend on my 440 is for Edelbrock heads.....and probably the matching Victor cam.....already got 2355 TRW forged pistons.....and the HP manifolds too. I'll have to make sure that trans can handle that power.....around 535 H.P. That's the combo I wanna go with......unless I flip-flop, which I've been known to do.

i would stay a low block for a a body. alot easier to work around.
being a big block fan i say go for it!!! 383's rev like small blocks and build more power.

cudavert. that combo wont make 535hp. especially with manifolds. maybe 450 on a very good day and a happy dyno

Yeah, I have read and heard the low deck would be easier down the road and I would LOOOOOOVE to have a 6000 rpm big block!

We're all crazy so our opinion on that matter is moot. Sounds to me like you are coming to your senses. There is absolutely no reason to stroke a small block unless you have an early A. Admittedly a big block build will cost more, but you get more, and the increase in giggle factor is exponential. When the 383 gets boring you can always stroke it. I would give anything to have a maxed out (displacement wise) aluminum low deck in my '66 Valiant. Never happen, but I can dream.

too bad you aint closer ive got a buddy who has a few 440's just layin around i could get for next to nuthin and trade ya lol

6000? you can twist a 383 way more than that.

Anyway, back to the question at hand. When I was planning the Duster buildup I already had a 500 horse 440 and of course the 340 that came in the Duster. I had a complete 400 buildable core as well. I reasoned that an aluminum headed low block would probably be close to an iron headed small block in weight But I looked at a lot of big block a bodies and decided that the small block just fit so much better, was easier to work on and an aluminum headed small block would be even lighter. Then someone told me I couldn't run 10's with a small block Mopar so I had to prove them wrong, right? :) That was 17 years ago though when there wasn't a lot of small block stuff like there is now.

So now I'm firmly entrenched in the small block and wouldn't consider a big block at this point, you'll have to decide for yourself what is best though. There is a lot of good big block stuff out there now too, it's a tough choice, good luck.

Time will tell. Those that live long enough will discover that anyone who spent their time and money on gas guzzling yestergear was crazy.
I have paperwork to prove I'm krazy so I just try to have some fun.
To stick any engine in it and drive is a lot more fun than freting over displacement and horsepower in my opinion.

-
Back