Whoop, there it is.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
All the electrics and plumbing is done on the 42RH automatic and well, it's automatic.
At normal like you need to get somewhere, but not haul *** driving.
1-2 shift at about 25
2-3 about 40-45
3-4 overdrive at 55mph
4-lockup 65 mph
And all back down like it should without touching anything and leaving it in the drive position on the shifter the entire time.
It can still be shifted manually if you want, and as a matter of fact can also be put in low at any speed (part of the shift kit options):D (and I have a ratchet shifter) so it would have to be real intentional to get it in first when doing 55 or 90)
OD and lockup can both or either one be turned off completely with the "Auto" and "off" switches on the shifter base

I need to make some adjustments to the vacuum kickdown switch so it kicks out of lockup when you give it more than just cruising throttle, but everything is functional and just kicks butt.

1. Adjustable nitrous fuel cutoff safety switches plumbed to the governor test port and cooler tube plumbed up the back of the trans to the bracket it is mounted on at the back of the motor. (One for 4th and one for lockup)
2. Relay to ground the converter solenoid at 65 mph so it activates lockup and drives one to one with crankshaft RPM's.
3. Relay to ground the trans solenoid and activate 4th/OD when the trans switch (nitrous cut off switch) feels 55mph
Sorry, numbered those backwards.:D
4. Adjustable vacuum switch cuts the circuit for converter lockup when manifold vacuum drops to a determined level like when you give it more throttle to pass on an Interstate. (this is what I still need to get adjusted how I want it.

350hp Magnum (LA style)
400tq at 3,500 (custom grind cam)
Headers, dual 2.5 inch with Flowmasters
Dual plane Eddie intake
Eddie 1406 electric choke
EQ Magnum Iron heads with 1.92 intakes
Hughes custom springs and accesories
HEI ignition with advance modded distributor and Accel 8mm wires.
NGK plugs
5 speed fully automatic transmission with low geared first.
Runs great on 87 fuel at 9.1:1 compression
Freeway gearing
Still a 7.25 but Grand Cherokee disc 8.25 locker next.
15" 70 series tires
Line lock for nice smoke effects.:D
Oversized radiator with fully automatic electric cooling.
Wireless touch screen music and navigation tied into the car sound system.
And just some kick butt one off hand made mechanical type gauging and custom LED lighting and dash modifications.
All LED external lighting save for headlights. (relay kits on those)
Protected by self resetting circuit breakers instead of fusible links (always hated those)
MAD electrical bypass with volt meter.
A/F wideband
Working on the paint and body.
1.03 Torsion bars, new shocks (only Gabriel's)
All poly bushed save the upper Arms, front leaf spring mount, motor and trans mounts.
Subframe connectors (2x3 rectangle tube)
Performance oriented alignment specs with 2.5-3 positive caster and 2 camber with 1/8 positive toe.
Offset upper control arm bushing obviously.
And a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now. :D

I got this car stock and NO one else has ever touched it except to change and balance the tires.
Thank you to all of you I have bounced idea's off of and also have given me inspiration when I needed it.
FABO helped make me get out there and git er done.

Ladies and Gentlemen we have a dessert rocket Arizona style.

Beak haters kiss my butt. :D

OD&Lockup.jpg

nightfrontsmall.jpg

hoodresized.jpg

hoodopen.jpg

dash.jpg

5.JPG

2aSmall.jpg

MagnumswapLA.jpg

A500OD.jpg

headon.jpg

Last edited:
Man I didn't realize that old dash pic went.
Older pic of the dash caps I made with carbon fiber.

caps5.jpg

What does it do to the right rear tire from a 20 MPH roll?

Looking really nice!! Is that a functional air scoop?

Yes it is, it's just hard to tell with the black under the hood.
It even has a grill inside that matches the grill on the car.

What does it do to the right rear tire from a 20 MPH roll?

Spins it till you let off the gas.
And I mean up to like 60 in second gear and that's one of the reasons for the welder coming out and getting the bottle filled (hopefully this weekend) :D

The color red suits that car so nice

Thank you Rani, and thanks for your support with the car.

That's really cool man! Out of curiosity, did you tune your carb for the air scoop or?

That's really cool man! Out of curiosity, did you tune your carb for the air scoop or?

Man I barely got to check a plug yet. :D
So many little details to wrap up with an engine a trans swap all at once.

Spins it till you let off the gas.
And I mean up to like 60 in second gear and that's one of the reasons for the welder coming out and getting the bottle filled (hopefully this weekend) :D

That's not gonna help. All it's gonna do is spin them both the same amount. Now, go to a wider tire with a sticky compound.........then you'll break stuff. LOL

Nicely Done! Did you have to modify the tunnel a bunch?

1-2 at 25mph? Ain't that a bit high, mph wise?

I paid more attention to it today and it's more like 20, but I do drive with a bit of, shall we say enthusiasm?. :D

Nicely Done! Did you have to modify the tunnel a bunch?

The only thing I had to mod from original under the car was the loop over the top of the trans tunnel and the trans mount cross member.

I used the original spool mount and now the crossmember looks like this.
It doesn't seem to be any lower than it was before and it is def higher than my mufflers and collectors (which do touch lightly on larger speed bumps sometimes if I'm not careful about how fast the front tires come down off it.)
I have .085 wall 2x3 box tube welded subframe connectors so removing the loop over the top shouldn't be a problem.

mount.jpg

How easy was the swap? Worth the work? I'm getting ready to drop my 5.9 in and have been thinkin about doing the transmisson as well.

How easy was the swap? Worth the work? I'm getting ready to drop my 5.9 in and have been thinkin about doing the transmisson as well.

Depends I guess, as it took me most of two days to do the trans mount fabbing and install of both.
That included all new oversized cooling lines, linkage changes on the trans due to the pan gasket thickness because it threw off the angles and geometry enough to have to readjust it all.
Driveline shortening, ujoint change and new longer speedo cable was also done at the same time.

It took close to $250 for all the plumbing and switching for fully automatic shifting which was also done at the time of the engine and trans install (and worth every penny)
The way it is now it shifts up and down through all five speeds on it's own really nice, and I have OD and lockup disable control inside the car for the more spirited around town driving.
It can cause weird things with the upper shifts when it'll do 90 in second with your foot in it, then OD wants to come on at 55 and lockup at 65.

OD cant come on unless the trans is in 3rd and lockup comes on at 65mph so lockup can and will come on at 65 in second gear.
So if jumping on it, it's best to turn OD and lockup both off till you are done hauling ***, then putting them back in automatic mode for cruising above 55mph :D

Looks awesome.

Thank you.

-
Back