why do people have to criticize... RANT

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
So my brother just dropped by to drop a few things off to me. Wile he was here, we went to the garage to grab something and he saw my Snap-On tool box. He immediately started criticizing me for buying the box and all my tools. He pulls out his kobalt set and starts showing me all the tools that are in there and tells me that that whole set was $100. I'm sorry, but I like nice tools. I didn't diss on his, why diss on mine. I am paying for them, not him. I don't understand why people do this. It really kind of irked me. It's one thing if its a friend or someone else. But when your family does it. It pisses me off and makes me feel bad. Rant out,

Later, Jeremy

To each his own. I don't dis my wife about her candle collection, she doesn't make fun of my car and three marooned motorcycles. It's about respect. Your brother is out of line.

A few years ago we had a house warming party for a house I had taken 6 months to build and put my heart and soul into. My brother in law started yapping about how the cabinet doors aren't adjusted/ the color is weird/ the yard is too big, way too much grass to cut etc. I knew where it was coming from (he could never seem to get ahead) but that still doesn't make it right. Just consider the source (damn brothers) and keep polishing those nice tools.

Sounds like you brother just doesn't know how to appreciate high quality tools. Does he drive a Nova too. :-D

Chances are your a whole lot more organized then he is. I would never buy Snap-on. My dad swore by them but that's not the point. Between me and the guys I work with it's easier to buy a new set of, whatever, from Harbor Freight every month then try to find out who lost what.

My Dad was right, nothing beats Snap-on.

just try not to laugh to hard at him when one of his tools rounds off a fastener and he has to spend several days dismantling and reassembling something. might make any interesting post, how many people have smashed knuckles/cut hands or what have from using inferior tools?? does snap on still give away the don't ask to borrow stickers??

I hear ya, some people can't seem to say, Nice choice, nice car/tools/house,
etc...

I have some Snap-On tools, but won't bother with them any longer.

But about Snapon...

I bought a Snap On impact 1/2" drive and it never had any torque,
I got mad and went to Home Depot, and bought a 1/2" impact,
on a Sunday morning, brought it home.

Well, the $129.
cheapo was able to loosen the lug nuts on my Dodge p/u that,
the $299 Snap on could not.

Took the Snap On impact back, and asked the SnapOn truck driver,
salesman what they could do for me. He said well we could send it in to get rebuilt but that will cost you whatever the surcharge is. :thebirdm:
I said you gotta be kidding me, this thing is a piece-o junk, and you won't replace it?:angry7:

Over priced Prima donna.

Tell you what, any more, as someone who's earned his living with tools I could care less what it is as long as it's a lifetime warranty. Or a good warranty on air tools. In my MAC toolbox is SnapOn, MAC, Crapsman, Kobalt, Husky, Matco, Cornwell, IR, Hutchins, Duroblock, the list goes on...
I refuse to underspend for quality on certain things: I got tired of twisting off Crapsman screwdriver heads on every rusted screw and effing up the next good screw. So out they went and in came a set of MACs when they went on sale.
When your brother has the same problem and comes over to borrow your set of SnapOn screwdrivers you can grin at him.
He was out of line for criticizing what you spend your money on.

Interesting how the subject eventually gets lost in the thread.I don't think the point is what tools he has ,it's the fact that his brother showed him no respect.Frankly I would tell him to piss off if he didn't like them.8)

The only way your brother could be right is if you are buying Snap-On tools and boxes and tools when you can barely squeek by with the rest of your bills and he is concerned for you and your family because of your excessive spending habits and he loves you as a Brother.

This is purely hypothetical though because I don't know your situation, but I have have seen it before where I had family members putting their family at risk because of idiotic spending habits.
They would not listen to siblings who were concerned for their kids well being because Mom or Dad was a fiscal basket case.

I have a Brother that is the same way.
He spends like a drunken sailor, and gets mad as hell when anyone questions his spending habits, and he says nasty things to anyone who dares question him so nobody dares question him anymore, but when he calls complaining about his next divorce over money problems, we just say, "Man, that sucks."
I mean, what can you say to that?
I guess some people would rather have the best of the best even though they can't afford it, and they know it will all come crashing to an ugly end sooner or later as was the case with my Brother, and several other family members.

All that being said, if you CAN afford it and have no issues with money then , yes, your Brother is jealous and needs to get some financial advice from you.....LOL.

I can attest to being on the opposite side of the spectrum with tool boxes.
I got ragged on all the time at the dealerships I worked for having sissy craftsman boxes instead of the high dollar snap-on boxes.
I had alot of Snap-On tools which was enough for me.
It was funny because when the Snap-On guy came by, alot of the guys that ragged on me would cringe, and sometimes give reasons why they could not pay the tool guy this week because of other bills mounting and if I was in the snap on truck with them during the payment I would rag on them bad about their balance being more than my home mortgage, and then ask them if they wanted to trade for a nice, cheap Craftsman box that does exactly the same thing as a Snap -On box does.
Oooohhh, talk about instant payback. LOL.

Some people are overly critical or very opinionated. They probably dont realize they are being butt heads, its just the way they are. I try to treat people the way I want to be treated or I treat them the way they have treated me. But the best thing is to smile and say nothing at all.
I sent some pics of my progress on the Swinger to a friend and his responds back with "you should have done it this way" or "why did you do that" and not in a curios way, more of a I know more then you kind of way.

My family are the worst offenders, one, they are very argumentative, and two, they have no skills to back any of ther BS theories. I would mention something I was working on, weather it be my car or a construction project and my grandmother would say "what do know about _______(fill in the blank)Mr. Noel" And it wasn't in a sweet grandma kind of tone.
Funny thing is, I know more then all of them put together.
Or they would call and pick my brain and then go and hire someone else to do the work. Now I just tell them "I dont know anything about it". (Whatever they need fixed).

you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you cant pick your friend's nose

So my brother just dropped by to drop a few things off to me. Wile he was here, we went to the garage to grab something and he saw my Snap-On tool box. He immediately started criticizing me for buying the box and all my tools. He pulls out his kobalt set and starts showing me all the tools that are in there and tells me that that whole set was $100. I'm sorry, but I like nice tools. I didn't diss on his, why diss on mine. I am paying for them, not him. I don't understand why people do this. It really kind of irked me. It's one thing if its a friend or someone else. But when your family does it. It pisses me off and makes me feel bad. Rant out,

Later, Jeremy

You get what you pay for when you buy tools. I was looking for a shrinker/streacher and I didn't want one that I would get a few uses out of and then it never worked the same again, I didn't want a crappy harbor freight/eastwood one that would break, so I spent the extra cash and got this one...
http://www.bii1.com/metal-forming/shrinker-stretcher-18.php

He may never have a problem with his Lowes tools but I guarantee that his little tool kit won't have that special tool that he needs to do the job and he will be calling you asking "Do you have one of these, can I borrow it?"

I sent some pics of my progress on the Swinger to a friend and his responds back with "you should have done it this way" or "why did you do that" and not in a curios way, more of a I know more then you kind of way.

Yup, I know exactly what you're talking about......I have an extended family member who, when I tell him or show him my latest completed project, (no matter how awesome) he always comes back with "you should see my friend's tubbed out hemi dart with twin turbos and a 6-speed!".......he has never uttered any compliment or "hey, that's really nice". Never. It's like it would kill him.

We put in a built-in pool in our backyard......what did he say? "Oh man, I would never ever get a pool.....it's a never-ending maintenance nightmare that would drive you broke......plus, you rarely use it" Thanks....that's just what I wanted to hear.......my wife and I are pretty convinced it's a jealousy thing......although I hate to go there.

When I'm out buying tools, and yes I have Snap On, Mac and Craftsman, I look at my hands and say to myself "whats the chances of me breaking, stripping or splitting this tool" and loosing 2 years worth of skin on these knuckles and hurting like hell. If the level of probability is high I buy MAC, if it don't matter I buy Craftsman and if I just want to spend way to much money on a really neat new tool I buy Snap On.8)8)

Jeremy, to the point of the original thread, when the time comes that your brother comes by to borrow your tools and he will, tell him to :bootysha: kiss it.

Terry

:read2:I shook my head when my boss purchased a high dollar Snap-On rechargable screwdriver/drill. That sucker will "snap off" a 7/16 wheel stud (don't ask me how I know)

Well after a half dozen Black and Decker/Great Neck/Craftsman types "on sale". None of the batteries will hold a charge, those that do couldn't stir a milkshake. Not to mention none of the battery packs interchange and the chargers have a habit of blowing out quickly. Replacement chargers turn out to cost more than the whole shebang did!

I'm patiently waiting for the Snap-On truck while writing this........

My trash can is full of "bargain" tools, not to mention lost time, rounded nuts and bolts, etc............

I totally agree with inkjunkie about rounding off fasteners; then you really do need a Snap-On tool since they fit on the flat sides not the rounded off corners; that were commonly caused by backyard mechanics who used open end adjustable wrenches back in the day. Wayne

Every one has there own opinion rather it be brother/friend or stranger. Some people may come off as rude and some may come off as helpful. Sound like your brother was just being a brother and picking on you lol. I personally Own all the different tool brands and some are good and some are bad but I don't think just cause you have snap on and paid a bunch more money for it means your going to get the job done any faster then the guy using craftsman. there tools. no matter who makes them,there all able to be broken and they are only as smart as the guy turning them!!!!!!. now,even though I am diverse with my tools, there is still a line lol. I am not talking about going to a 24/7 7 eleven gas station and grabbing a tool kit for $20.00 that say made in taiwan lol. But I do have kobalt tools,craftsman tools,snap on tools,mac tools,blue point,black hawk,matco...you name it..... I have thousands and thousands of dollars in tools. And I can honestly say that yes there is some difference in quality but not enough that I need to go spend the extra on the same thing made by someone else,there all going to get greasy and scratched up. certain tools though I do prefer different brands such as my half in snap on impact (MONSTER) ($800.00) but I sold it. And my replacement kobalt half inch impact (WEAK LITTLE SISSY COMPARED TO MY SNAP ON) lol. But I see where your coming from but don't let it get to you. Just keep it in mind so the next tiem your brother breaks a tool and comes asking you to lend him a tool when he is in a pinch. Just toss in his face that he needs YOUR tools to finish the job lol

-
Back