Why Does This S**T Happen To ME!!!!!

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I finally got the engine cranked the Barracuda I've be restoring, and even took it down the road for a test drive! When I got back and was pulling it back in the garage it stalled and before I could restart it I noticed some smoke coming out from under the hood. At first I thought it was some residual stuff burning but the smoke was getting worse and figured something was on fire, so as I went pop the hood I noticed the black lip of the hood had become recessed below the cowl (probably bowing from the heat). I knew if I open the hood it would bind, but I figured that bent hood was better then the whole car burning up! So open I did and I found the complete air cleaner up in flames! I got the fire extinguisher out and to put it out and what a mess! Well I thought I was almost ready but it looks like I have some more work to do! ANYONE GOT AN EXTRA HOOD?:-?

See Pictures:

Attachments

• Burt Air Clean.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 630
  • Burt Engine.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 623
  • Bent Hood.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 623
dam! glad you and the rest of the car is okay! Any idea what caused the fire? Somebody on here will be able to help you out, best of luck!:)

Yikes!!! I assume it was a fuel fire and not electrical? How did it run on the test drive? I wonder if the float stuck and just overflowed? Let us know what your further investigation uncovers?

I would put some time in checking valves and timing.
Does it/did it spit back or pop or anything like that? because it looks like it.

Yes it was an open paper filter, and it back fired causing flames to come out of the carburetor. I do feel fortunate the damage under the hood is minimal and the car as well my garage didn't burn down, but I've been restoring this car for over a year now and it was almost done!:sad7:.

I would put some time in checking valves and timing.
Does it/did it spit back or pop or anything like that? because it looks like it.

I do think it's a timing issue, and the choke isn't working right yet, I'm not surprised it happened but I didn't figure the hood would buckle like it did, l guess with an RPM intake there's not much room between the hood and the air cleaner so it got pretty hot quick!

Any time you think the carb is on fire, keep cranking. May not have been much help In Your case but just a heads up

Yes it was an open paper filter, and it back fired causing flames to come out of the carburetor. I do feel fortunate the damage under the hood is minimal and the car as well my garage didn't burn down, but I've been restoring this car for over a year now and it was almost done!:sad7:.
it happens, as you said, atleast the underhood damage was minimal. A member one here had their whole top of their motor burn up real fast because of a fuel leak. My old college teacher had a '68 340 'Cuda notch that he burned up the motor in a quarter mile because he overdrove the pulley on his alternator when he did his serpentine belt setup he home brewed, he was pretty upset and even sold the car because he couldn't look at his mistake. He owned the car 20~ years previous to doing that to it.

So look on the bright side, atleast it's not a bad fix and now you know you need to get the timing closer.

That happened to me once. It turned out that one of the distributor advance springs in had broken and I was running too much advance after it broke.

Any time you think the carb is on fire, keep cranking. May not have been much help In Your case but just a heads up

That's good advice, but once the paper air filter element catches on fire, it won't all get sucked back into the engine if you still can get it started. I had a backfire catch the air filter on fire once, but the filter element still was on fire after it finally restarted.

Thats why ....when We take one for a shake down run (after redoin the motor) we run with out a hood on it . Im sorry this happend ..

Sure is nice to see members pitching in with hood offers.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune
Fire in the engine bay - been there dun that - makes your heart sink!!!

Hoods are easier to find than good front fenders. At least they don't rot away the way fenders do. I once saw a 70 chrysler 300 burn up at a traffic light, after that I always carry a fire extinguisher in my old cars. Sounds like you got lucky.

If your under hood clearance is that low have you considered any of the spray on heat blocking coatings? Saw a picture of the aftermath of an interior fire in a 30's-40's hotrod that had it on all panels. From the outside you couldn't tell there had been a fire, on the inside everything was toasted.

... I once saw a 70 chrysler 300 burn up at a traffic light, after that I always carry a fire extinguisher in my old cars. ...
I carry one in all my modern cars too. A leak in a 60 psi EFI system can form a very flammable mist. I have seen many newer cars burnt up in parking lots. I suspect that will become more common as they age and people neglect maintenance.

I'd bang the hood straight & run it, for awhile at least. Replace the hood once it's mechanically sound.

I'd bang the hood straight & run it, for awhile at least. Replace the hood once it's mechanically sound.

Yeah but I just did complete restoration on it, body paint and all, so this really sucks! Now I'm going to have to drive around in a shinny new Barracuda with a bent hood, and you know everyone is going to ask and I'll have to explain:violent1:

On the bright I guess I'll have something to talk about. :D

Since the hood is already trashed it would be a good canidate for a cowl induction style scoop. Should cover the damaged section nicely. So if anyone is thinking of doing such a thing contact the OP he might sell/give you a hood.
:)

I'm pretty sure I still have an extra hood, lot of surface rust but straight. See if I can get you a picture of it the next day or two. I'm in Charlotte so not too far away if your interested.

-
Back