Why must shipping take sooo long?!

-

Scat

Reaction score
Been itching to get the Hemi in the Duster but waiting on my mounts and headers. 2 months left of cruising up in Wisconsin. Summers already been a bust for any activities, be nice to get this done before winter.

I ordered some stuff from Russia and it took 5 weeks to get here!! The MOTHER of all vacuum tubes....some of our younger FABO members might not know what a vacuum tube is???

DSC08223.JPG

That is a friggin TUBE :) ....... What the hell does that plug into, a nuclear TV.
It's a Soviet Pulse Modulator, Thyratron Tube from the 60s/70s.....like I said many of the FABO members don't even know what a vacuum tube is!! It's hard to believe that this GIANT tube has been replaced by a microscopic spec on our current circuit boards (micro chips). I bought it to educate my kids. When I asked my daughter's boyfriend if he knew what a vacuum tube is (this guy is a 23 year old Chemical Engineer), he said "I don't know, does it control a vacuum cleaner???"

Last edited:
It's a Soviet Pulse Modulator, Thyratron Tube from the 60s/70s.....like I said many of the FABO members don't even know what a vacuum tube is!! It's hard to believe that this GIANT tube has been replaced by a microscopic spec on our current circuit boards. I bought it to educate my kids.

Over here maybe, but I bet that's still current technology in Mother Russia. :D

Back to the original question I agree. I just got a call from my lawn service people about my bill. I mailed it 12 days prior and they finally got it on the 13th day. They are 11 miles away.

79887455_3280989211915786_3871531345075240960_o.jpg

Back to the original question I agree. I just got a call from my lawn service people about my bill. I mailed it 12 days prior and they finally got it on the 13th day. They are 11 miles away.

View attachment 1715586541
That measly tester couldn't even handle this tiny vacuum tube much less that GIANT one I posted earlier??? :lol: I thought 5 weeks from Russia wasn't bad?
DSC08224.JPG
DSC08225.JPG
DSC08226.JPG

Last edited:
Thats a bad *** tube. We had one of those tube testers at the Thrifty Drug on the corner. All (most) of the tubes were in the cabinet under the tester. Soviet tech: When a "top of the line" MiG-25 defected to Japan in 1976, we found the thing still had vacuum tubes in the radio....

View attachment 1715586541

On the other hand, my mother called me to alert me to look for something important she mailed last Thursday. It arrived today. :realcrazy:

2 pool filters bought on Amazon.. coming from China! Blew the 10 day Friday delivery date so they offered us 20% refund plus the filters when they arrive or full refund in another 7 days. I had a parcel sit on a Chinese runway for a month (so says the fake tracking website the thief directed me to) Had paper mail from LA arrive the next day here in Orange County (the next county south of Los Angeles). Hit or miss.

I ordered some stuff from Russia and it took 5 weeks to get here!! The MOTHER of all vacuum tubes....some of our younger FABO members might not know what a vacuum tube is???

View attachment 1715586416

I had a friend who had a CB radio amplifier that had one tube right in the center that was half that length, but TWICE as big around. It would modulate over 7500W. lol During the winter, he didn't have to cut the heater on when he was talkin on the radio.

Some of us remember when shipping on anything mail order was "6-8 weeks for delivery".

Just yesterday I bought a circa 1961 Eico mono FM tuner. I believe it has 4 tubes.

$20 thrift store find.

It's pretty and reeks of 1961.

Haven't opened it up to see if any of the tubes are good or even still there.

Turns out it wasn't shipping that was the problem, headers were back ordered till end of December and no one relayed the message. Only behind by 3 weeks now...

20 years ago the Ruskis started selling vacuum tube guitar amplifiers here in NA. They were called Sovtek's and they had a Mig 25, Mig 50 models based on wattage.

They still build lots of tubes in Russia but even the Chinese have taken market share with cheaper prices...

-
Back