Why so much seam sealer?

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
In my 72 Swinger there is a absurd amount of seam sealer everywhere in the trunk. My rear window leaked at some point and rusted some areas in the trunk. I am now removing the seam sealer to insure all the rust is gone. My question is do i need to put all of this back on. The had seam sealer smeared where seams were not even near. Also how do you dress up your trunk? Is it painted like the car or some trunk splatter paint?
Thanks,

Just spread the seam sealer on the seams top and bottom where you can reach both sides. Seam seal what you can and smooth it out and its your personal preference on whether to leave it painted or splatter paint in the trunk

is your car by chance an "R" code Canadian built car??

the code should be seventh digit in the vin number. example: LH23C2R

I ask this because I have run into at least three "R" code Canada cars that had an insane amount of seam sealer glopped on.

Yet I had a "B" code Hamtramck car that had hardly any ....it was skimped so bad that it almost looked like the seam sealer guy skipped the car on the assembly line.

I use por 15 after the sealer is removed... I use 5200 marine grade sealant in place of the old.. then paint... I thought about insulation and carpet in the trunk to match the interior to keep down heat and noise..

I use por 15 after the sealer is removed... I use 5200 marine grade sealant in place of the old.. then paint... I thought about insulation and carpet in the trunk to match the interior to keep down heat and noise..

5200 Marine grade sealant, who makes that? 3M

My car is a Hamtramck car but yes, tons of seam sealer. I am doing to go the min but first rust encapsulate it and sound deaden then trim with carpet. Thanks for the info.

I had that on my car to i just figured the gun was pumping like crazy when they built it and no body gave a ****

-
Back