Wife got a *new* car; you guys won't like it!

-
I have not had ANYTHING other than Mopar's for over 17+ years! Knowing me I won't have it that long anyway...hopefully a stepping stone to an SRT-8 someday! It is a nice car though...for rice anyway! LOL

2009 Acura TL SH-AWD

I wouldn't apologize at all for that purchase! You've got one of the best built vehicles on the road right there!

If the Wife is happy, life is good. Don't worry about it being an import since the Chrysler 300 you were going to buy is made in Ontario usually with the Engines from Mexico and now owned by Italy's Fiat. Funny how their commecial tag line is "Imported from Detroit"-yeah right.

I have plenty of mopars that were daily driver. I got a steal of a deal on sti and haven't looked back. Great a/c, power steering and brakes, Big brakes, handles great, 20mpg.. yada yada. Not to mention its 500hp to the wheels. Also air bags and if it gets wrecked parts are obtainable.

I still love mopars (the old ones). I think newer ones are not the greatest. Sebrings, concords, ram trucks, dakatos etc. Everyone that comes to the shop with them don't hold up. I find anymore that foreign cars are built better and easier to work on minus price of parts.

IMG_0915.jpg

It has the 2.0 turbo. The car was a LOT cheaper than many of you are thinking :) It's a 2008, so it has already lost a lot of its value. I already knew about the interference engine being a potential problem. My Honda Civic is also an interference engine, and I still haven't changed the timing belt. I am really pushing my luck with 112k on the odometer. That is my fall project. My brother just got done doing it to his early 2000's Jetta, so hopefully if I need a second pair of hands (or eyes) he can lend them to me.

Yep, I am really affraid of potential problems. But, nothing is guaranteed to be perfect in this life! As they say, happy wife, happy life!

Turbo or non-Turbo; aka 2.0 or V-6? A buddy of mine has a shop here in Bellevue, so I've seen a lot of these things roll in. Just don't keep it when the warranty expires, very maintenance heavy and pricey.
That's not to be a douche, it it just the nature of European cars.

Yeah, I can tell you this first hand, a close friend of mine had all kinds of issues with his, and I get to be the one to fix it. There's always some special tool you have to buy, and some rediculious over engineered way that makes it tough to work on. European cars suck. Waste of time and money, but they look good.

Kind of like a trophy wife. :banghead:

My daughter and her husband bought a Lexus a couple months ago. She must've told me ten times that it has rear seat back massagers (like she spends any time back there being married -- harumph!) and it makes her feel like a princess when she's driving it.

Good thing too. She'll need a princess' crown jewels to fix it when something breaks. :-D

aw... disappointing. Your offspring aren't moparian

Your Honda compared to the Volvo, the timing belt is a walk in the park!

It has the 2.0 turbo. The car was a LOT cheaper than many of you are thinking :) It's a 2008, so it has already lost a lot of its value. I already knew about the interference engine being a potential problem. My Honda Civic is also an interference engine, and I still haven't changed the timing belt. I am really pushing my luck with 112k on the odometer. That is my fall project. My brother just got done doing it to his early 2000's Jetta, so hopefully if I need a second pair of hands (or eyes) he can lend them to me.

Yep, I am really affraid of potential problems. But, nothing is guaranteed to be perfect in this life! As they say, happy wife, happy life!

A4/B7 model .. nice car ... good resale value .. HOT cars....
2.0 turbo just USE CORRECT SYNTHETIC OIL ... A MUST !.
IF it is a MANUAL = almost bullet proof.
AUDI's rarely rust ...
Just ask questions when have a concern ... i know them like back of my hand !

Volkswagen owns :
Lamborghini
Porsche
Bugatti
Bentley
Ducati bikes
Audi..
They are pretty well independent of each other ....

Ive got a 2008 Subaru Impreza. Bought it 2 years ago with 26000 miles, It now has 33000 miles. I hate it. Its boring to drive, boring to look at. I want my Ram back.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to cars other than the ones I own. They keep me more than busy. What I do know is that most of the new stuff is expensive to work on. They cost a fortune right from the start. When the headlight went out on my '11 Traverse they wanted $250.00 to replace the bulb. The whole front had to come off. You can bet I found a way around all that happy crappy. Car has 86,000 already and the cheapo manuals haven't even come out yet. I fear I will be in trouble soon.

"Wife got a *new* car; you guys won't like it"!
It's not up to us to 'like it". That's your wife's responsibility.

Congrats, and stop apologizing and enjoy the new ride.

...btw, I have no personal experience with these cars, the neighbor's kid has one, and according to him it's been flawless these last 3 years. Other than normal maintenance and a thrust alignment issue that Pep Boys fix for a fraction of what the dealership wanted, the car has had no issues, and he's not the most gentle person there is with his cars.

I was talking to an Audi owner, I asked about maintenance costs, he said, not an issue, first 3 years included then you just trade it on a new one. Nice if you can afford the luxury of a new car every 3 years. I'll just stick to my 300C's thanks.

Volkswagen owns :
Lamborghini
Porsche
Bugatti
Bentley
Ducati bikes
Audi..
They are pretty well independent of each other ....

Now THAT is an expensive bike to maintain. Long while ago I was in the process of putting the funds together for a 919 View attachment 1998_ducati_916_sps_fogarty_replica_01.jpg , friends transmission shop was right next door to a shop that dealt with them. After spending a few minutes talking to a mechanic I changed my mind.

Good luck with the Audi.

If you really want to work on your own car(Audi), you can purchase the Vagcom cable and software is free. These are very complex cars, but they can tell you alot more with the available software. Just do the periodic maintenance and correct parts and they can last a long time.
Is it an auto(DSG)? if so, there's a process for changing the fluid and filter, every 40K miles.
Enjoy the car, do the maintenance and you'll be okay.

Wife has got an 12 Impala. I hated that car at first the seats should say
The front seats suck. But after driving to Fla last year on vacation
Got used to the car and got 32 mpg at 80/85 mile an hour.
If your in the south an not running light speed on 95 or 75 you
Will get ran over. This car will get with it for a V6 . It will put u in the back seat
For sure. My son told me he ran a new Z28 an got beat but stayed
With it. Would I buy it agin no. Like the new Chrysler 200 with the new 9 speed trans
I bet that would be a fun car to drive . This Impala got a 6 speed tran it is a blast to drive put It to the floor an it will shift like a 6 speed manual .best hung on cause u are
In for a good ride

I have not had ANYTHING other than Mopar's for over 17+ years! Knowing me I won't have it that long anyway...hopefully a stepping stone to an SRT-8 someday! It is a nice car though...for rice anyway! LOL

2009 Acura TL SH-AWD

Hey but at least its got a cartoonish face. Kinda like a pokemon. Lol

It's all just nuts & Bolts. In Fact German cars are easier to work on IMO. Once you learn the little tricks like the sweet way wire connectors work and the common sense design.

Pablum. Offhand, look up the procedure for doing an O2 sensor on a W8 Passat!

Newer VW's have not been reliable...mostly, all sorts of electrical gremlins. My friend's wife had & loved an A4...when it was stolen, she bought an A6. Maybe eight months later, Audi bought it back...it was a neverending nightmare of electrical problems that NOBODY-including a dude flown in from Germany-could fix! She is very happy with her Dodge Charger R/T. :)

I have plenty of mopars that were daily driver. I got a steal of a deal on sti and haven't looked back. Great a/c, power steering and brakes, Big brakes, handles great, 20mpg.. yada yada. Not to mention its 500hp to the wheels. Also air bags and if it gets wrecked parts are obtainable.

I still love mopars (the old ones). I think newer ones are not the greatest. Sebrings, concords, ram trucks, dakatos etc. Everyone that comes to the shop with them don't hold up. I find anymore that foreign cars are built better and easier to work on minus price of parts.

IMG_0915.jpg

It even comes with a convenient carrying handle attached to the trunk! :axe:

Now THAT is an expensive bike to maintain. Long while ago I was in the process of putting the funds together for a 919 View attachment 1714733085 , friends transmission shop was right next door to a shop that dealt with them. After spending a few minutes talking to a mechanic I changed my mind.

Good luck with the Audi.

Isn't that the bike where, when adjusting the valve lash...you don't NEED to pull the engine, it's just the easiest way? :banghead:

-
Back