Will I go to Hell if ...

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
I paint my 340 block black ? It'd sure look right with all the other black and green on my Swinger. Nuthin's original or numbers matching - I just don't want to be put in "time out" by the Mopar judges :bootysha::bootysha: Thinking black block, black Mopar valve covers and air cleaner, chrome timing cover and pump, ceramic TTI's (got all that already) and Sublime Taylor wires. Car is modified , see avatar. If it were an original or clone, I wouldn't consider it, but ......

If it were me and I thought something as trivial as block paint color was going to piss people off when its MY CAR, Id probably do it just to spite them :-D Seriously though, with what you have planned and what your car looks like I think it would look pretty mean when you opened the hood!!

Based on what I have seen in your progress threads - black would be the way to go.... Its your car build it the way you like it. Of course this comes from a guy who painted his car 1996 Mustang SVO Bright Blue - which is really a wild purple - much brighter than the Plum Crazy - see avatar. I'm sure I am going to hell for having a Ford colour on a Mopar.

You just wont be able to see an oil leak right away. Thats why the factories went with black motors in the 80's.

Hey - never thought of that oil leak aspect - makes sense. Also explains why Chevy crate motors are mostly black !

that's why were Mopar guys, cause we do stuff different, if they were all the same then why the hell would I wanna see your motor over mine? I say if you wanna paint it pink with purple poke-a-dots then do it, wait, don't do that, but build your car the way you wanna build it!

It's your car absolutely do what you want .
Nothing says hot rod like black paint!
The contrast with the chrome accessories will look good too.
Personally though I really like the way an orange engine contrasts with lime green paint . But it's not for everyone, I think it looks good with a stock appearing motor.

Don't forget to lay on a bunch of clear!!!! It will make it look like the paint is 10 feet deep and still wet. And it is easier to keep clean.

My 340 is actually a Diesel color. Kind of a Light green, but it will go with what I am going to do with the car and I like it.

As stated above, do what you want it is YOUR car.

Another vote for do what you want. If you aren't going for a restoration, why worry about what a restonut says...

j

Go black............Sounds nice..................

(I stuck up for guys who do their fender wells and firewalls in a nice black (not flat garbage) and I got stomped like a Halloween Pumpkin.........But so far the responses sound friendly, so I'm in!)

8)

I paint my 340 block black ? It'd sure look right with all the other black and green on my Swinger. Nuthin's original or numbers matching - I just don't want to be put in "time out" by the Mopar judges :bootysha::bootysha: Thinking black block, black Mopar valve covers and air cleaner, chrome timing cover and pump, ceramic TTI's (got all that already) and Sublime Taylor wires. Car is modified , see avatar. If it were an original or clone, I wouldn't consider it, but ......

I might go to Hell anyways... but my motor is black!

DSC01489.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

DSC01681.jpg

DSC01928.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

paint it what ever color you like, and besides Magnum engines are black, so its still a mopar color just later than what your engine was.

Just my 2 cents...looks great...Dean

Thanks

It was a easy choice because I have the black and green thing going like rebeldart has. I had a 273 that was orange (previous owner) and it didn't look good to me. When I went with the 360 I new it wasn't going to be orange. :-D Blue and red was a option but I knew the black would look better than the others.

Go black............Sounds nice..................

(I stuck up for guys who do their fender wells and firewalls in a nice black (not flat garbage) and I got stomped like a Halloween Pumpkin.........But so far the responses sound friendly, so I'm in!)

8)

Thanks Doc, you just helped me decide to paint my fenderwalls and engine bay gloss black :-D Ill post pics!!

Mullinax that looks fantastic!! Good job!!

Mullinax95 that engine looks fantastic, rebeldart after seeing this engine you got my vote to do it the way you want, your the one who you got to please right, unless of course someone is building the car for you free of charge... LOL.... As if that's happening!

Mines orange buildt the engine in 1985,but if I had it to do over black would be my choice

Thanks everyone - it'll be black tomorrow. Obviously seeing another Sublime/black combo (Mullinax's) sealed the deal for me. Sweet.

hey crazier things have been done. Tara's block is purple. I think black would look great with the colors you have.

Thanks everyone - it'll be black tomorrow. Obviously seeing another Sublime/black combo (Mullinax's) sealed the deal for me. Sweet.

Glad I could help out.

Need to have "Back in the Black" blasting while you're spraying. :-D

I might go to Hell anyways... but my motor is black!

Mully, Your car is sweeeeeet. Black against that green is gorgeous. :love10:

Would have considered black for the motor in the Demon if the engine compartment and the car weren't black. Ended up w/ orange just to break it up a bit.

rebeldart.....:thumleft: Black is a great choice & like others have said.....it doesn't show leaks as bad. A couple coats of clear will also make it POP.

-
Back