Windshield/backglass gaskets- who to buy from?

-

Jbuhr

Reaction score
Hey - I've got a 73 Duster that I am finishing up. I need to buy replacement gaskets for the front and rear glass. Who should I buy from? I've tried one vendor but they are out of stock.

Thanks,

I bought mine from Year One during one of their 30% off sales. In fact that is the only time I buy from them. I save my money and list of parts, then when I get the sale email, boom I drop the dime and save a bunch. I have not installed them yet, so afraid I can't offer anymore input than that. Good luck.

I bought mine (for a 62 Valiant) from Rare Spares in NZ. Nice part, decent price, had part available, good communication.

Doing glass in the Duster as we speak.
I bought my front windshield seal from Vansautollc on Ebay. $90, free shipping.
The seal is a Precision brand. Considered good from glass installers.
You will also need the locking strips, one for front windshield, one for the rear. I bought these from justmopar.com for $11 each. All parts were in stock and delivered within a few days.
Now for the windshield. I purchased mine from a local AGD auto glass dealer. The windshields are all made in China, and come with the blue upper part tinted.The list price was $223.35. They worked me a deal to get the front windshield tinted with film 55% (least amount) and out the door was $130. Not sure who makes the windshields for the big resto companies. Huge margins for those rest companies!! But seeing prices nearing $500, made me cringe.
The windshields are XYG brand from China. They will chip & clam-shell VERY easily. Ask me how I know. I was told that there are currently no windshields being made in the USA for my application. The glass shops have lots of problems with the new windshields from China. My old Guardian brand windshield that was in the car for the last 20 years, I believe made in the USA? It was nicked and tint faded to yellow so I opted for new.
Installation: On the rear window, we (friend that is a glass installer) put the seal in first around the car body. Then the window was installed, use lots of soapy water!. Went in quick and EZ. Only used the plastic knife tool, no rope. The lock strip I put in myself, no issue, start in a corner, go around, cut off the excess, install chrome trim.
On the front window, we put the seal on the windshield, then installed it into the body. This one fought us quite a bit. Got it in after lots of sweating. I put the lock strip in several days later. Big fight when I came to the lower driver's side corner. Pushing with my thumb on the lock strip into the channel of the seal with lots of soapy water, I heard tick. I had a runner up 3". Round two coming up Saturday.
Good luck.

Attachments

• DSC_4740.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 176
  • windshield.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 161
Thanks. I will look into these vendors. I have a friend that is a mopar guy and a glass installer to help me out.

-
Back