Windshield Help!!

-

416 mopar

Reaction score
i have a 72 duster and recently purchased a full glass kit from AMD. my question is that i took out both windshields but i have heard that its hard to put them in.

any tips or comments i have called some local glass companies and they have said that it is very hard to do.

any recommendations on what i should do?

Thanks
416 mopar

you can do it, it is a bit hard. there might be a couple threads here if you do a search.

Rubber goes in the windshield frame.
make sure the zip locking strip is "open"
put the bottom of the windshield in the rubber channel

apply some liquid soap liberally to the edge of the rubber to allow it to slide

now you need a tool like this (or two)
$(KGrHqRHJCQE8fW7s)6zBPKK-OVOr!~~60_35.JPG

use it to work the bottom corners of the glass into the rubber
then up both sides, and top corners.
Very frustrating, because you think it is not going to go.

Keep working and taking breaks as needed. My hands get tired of wiggling and wobbling the tool back and forth to work the rubber over the glass

once that is done you can zip the strip in.

During the whole process, you can gently "slap" the windshield with the flat of your palm...the glass will take a lot of pressure, biggest culprit of breakage is hitting the edge of the glass with a screwdriver or such tool.

I know that my back window has a lock strip, but I didn't think the windshield does (I thought it was a rope-in).

I could be wrong- I've had the car for 20+ years, but I haven't looked at the windshield gasket that closely lol.

you can do it, it is a bit hard. there might be a couple threads here if you do a search.

Rubber goes in the windshield frame.
make sure the zip locking strip is "open"
put the bottom of the windshield in the rubber channel

apply some liquid soap liberally to the edge of the rubber to allow it to slide

now you need a tool like this (or two)
$(KGrHqRHJCQE8fW7s)6zBPKK-OVOr!~~60_35.JPG

use it to work the bottom corners of the glass into the rubber
then up both sides, and top corners.
Very frustrating, because you think it is not going to go.

Keep working and taking breaks as needed. My hands get tired of wiggling and wobbling the tool back and forth to work the rubber over the glass

once that is done you can zip the strip in.

During the whole process, you can gently "slap" the windshield with the flat of your palm...the glass will take a lot of pressure, biggest culprit of breakage is hitting the edge of the glass with a screwdriver or such tool.
What company did you get that one from?

-
Back