Windshield wiper motor help

-

65PlumCrzy

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Valiant with the multi speed switch along with the electric washer control. First ride out today and found the wiper motor is working intermittently. It would swipe about 4 revolutions and stop, after a minute or two, it would work again. Problem seems consistent. Anyone seen this, know what to look for or what exactly is going on with my wipers? Any help is appreciated

I think there is a circuit breaker in switch. I would be looking for friction in the linkage system, or low voltage. With low voltage, the motor current increases to serve the load. Use a voltmeter to test voltage.

The circuit breaker in that switch is a bi-metal strip bowing with heat. It will function some number of times before cracking in half. My first experience with this issue was a 67 model way back in early 80s. I did take that switch apart, find a way to route the 2 contacts out though a hole drilled in the switch, and add a more modern cycling circuit breaker on its outside. Didn't cure the overheating issue though.
The actual fault was in the drivers side pivot assembly. Good luck

-
Back