Windshield wipers hanging up halfway

-

66fyssh

Don't Stop Believin'
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for troubleshooting help.
66 Barracuda. Two speed wiper switch.

When I turn on the wipers they go halfway up and stop. If I give a wiper blade a little nudge, they will continue up, back down, then hang up again going back up.

Would this be a wiper motor bushing issue?

Thanks for your help on this.

Had the same issue with my 66 but my car has variable speed.

Issue was bad ground on the switch. I grounded for it and it worked perfectly.
Dash was freshly painted and just tightening the switch was not enough.

Dang! Thanks. That would be great! I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Had the same issue with my 66 but my car has variable speed.

Issue was bad ground on the switch. I grounded for it and it worked perfectly.
Dash was freshly painted and just tightening the switch was not enough.

Half way? Half cycle is stopping at or near top of glass and that can be a park switch electrical issue all the way back to the manually operated switch. Stopping at half way up the glass is 1/4 cycle. Mechanical issue like worn to binding pivot assembly.

Also- at the neck of the wiper motor is a screw. Almost like the drive gear has a adjustment. With motor unplugged- safety first. Screw that screw into the housing until it stops and back off 1/4 turn. When I had my variable speed wiper motor out for rebuilding I found that screw actually tightened the slop in the motor housing.
This again was for the variable speed motor which acts like a 2 speed motor when the switch is not grounded.
The screw is for small adjustment. Large needs a new bushing.
Keep us posted.
Joe

Thanks guys! It's 1/4 cycle, stopping halfway up the glass.

I'm working until 4 pm today, but I'll get in there after work to have a look.

I may just go ahead and order new bushings. I think DMT has them.

Thanks guys! It's 1/4 cycle, stopping halfway up the glass.

I'm working until 4 pm today, but I'll get in there after work to have a look.

I may just go ahead and order new bushings. I think DMT has them.
Your linkage wont have the plastic ball socket bushings. Until 1968 model all the bushings are bronze with felt grease retaining washers. There's another recent thread about sourcing those felt washers.
Majority of binding will be in the drivers side pivot.
IF you kit service the pivots, mark the bottom before you remove them. You can rotate them 180 degrees at reinstall to get onto a less worn side of their internal bushings.
As for my current 67 that lived most of its life near rainy Seattle Washington... simply rotating that pivot housing wouldn't work. I bought a much newer good used right pivot to renew a very worn 67 left pivot. Shaft and the 2 bushings transplanted into the drivers side pivot assembly. A real chore to say the least. Good luck

Thanks @RedFish !!

I remember seeing your experience but I couldn't find it on a search.

I know it's going to be interesting trying to reach behind the dash to get to the motor. I'll rotate those brass bushings 180 degrees and hopefully get another 50 years out of them!

Thanks for your insights.

I meant rotating the wiper pivot assemblies 180 degrees, mounted with 2 studs so doable. this helped my 73 valiant wipers run much smoother and quieter but wasn't going to help the 67 model.
I don't think you'll do this from underneath either. Reseal them to cowl would be needed to prevent water leak. Buying wiper pivot seal kits and adding those grease fittings is the typical method to the madness.

Holy cowl. (pun intended). Sounds like a winter project. I get parts on order so I'll have them.

Thanks for clarifying. It should make more sense once I get up close and personal to it.

-
Back