Windshields

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
When the body and paint was getting done on our Dart I got new glass. EZ, who has passed away had the glass installed. Both leaked a small amount of water when it got washed. The guy that put them on tried 3 times, couldn't get them to not leak. Second place tried twice...still drips. Window frames are spotless, new gaskets were used. Hoping to find a local shop to stop the drips. Wondering...is any sort of adhesive used along with the gaskets?

If you didn't have me blocked I would tell you that some people use butyl rubber caulking along with the seals and that seems to work out well. :D

Under the front one it just sits on a shelf - definitely recommend using liquid butyl - caulk gun tube from NAPA. The rest of the way around both use butyl windoweld rope caulk. Stick it in the seal and push it onto the metal. I used windex to lube the glass a bit getting it into the seal. After that was completely dry, I added windoweld urethane under the lip of the seal on the glass before installing the lockstrips. Maybe not needed, but only downside is it could make it hard to re-use the seal if I ever needed to.

Under the front one it just sits on a shelf - definitely recommend using liquid butyl - caulk gun tube from NAPA. The rest of the way around both use butyl windoweld rope caulk. Stick it in the seal and push it onto the metal. I used windex to lube the glass a bit getting it into the seal. After that was completely dry, I added windoweld urethane under the lip of the seal on the glass before installing the lockstrips. Maybe not needed, but only downside is it could make it hard to re-use the seal if I ever needed to.
Thanks. Spoke to a shop in Spokane that said he would fix it...lost his info. Stopped at a shop during the week....he wanted nothing to do with it...

Thanks. Spoke to a shop in Spokane that said he would fix it...lost his info. Stopped at a shop during the week....he wanted nothing to do with it...
That's cause it's completely different than the new glass installs that are just glued in place. Takes too long and they can't make any money on it doing it right.

I use 3M black windshield adhesive when I set my windows, on the channel and in the channel for the glass on the gasketed windows! Even the big bubble back windows don't leak!!

The butyl doesn't bond the glass to the rubber like the new stuff does. I just had mine done with butyl but it hasn't been out in the weather yet

I installed a new front gasket in my 69 Dart and it kept leaking. I chased that demon for a long time. I finally fixed it by pulling back the gasket on the outside of the windshield and using a thin needle type applicator and applied black sealer along the bottom and up both sides. no more leak.

The butyl doesn't bond the glass to the rubber like the new stuff does. I just had mine done with butyl but it hasn't been out in the weather yet
The rubber actually seals pretty good to the glass without anything. I did one for another member without any sealant to the glass and it did not leak, As said above, I used the windoweld urethane in caulk tube between rubber and glass on mine (added after it was in place). The butyl rope around the outside of seal (in the groove of the rubber) will do great to seal the metal EXCEPT for under the front. Use the liquid butyl there.

Last edited:
Just wondering....how in the hell could someone possibly "disagree" with my initial post? Huh?
Don't believe you have a leak? LOL
I caught myself doing that once. Scrolling through a thread on my phone and hit it by accident.

I called around last fall to have both the front and back glass done on my Duster, but ended up doing it myself. I think I talked to Jacob's Auto Glass and I probably would have gone there if I had anyone do it, but it's been long enough that I'm not certain that is the right place.

I did a bunch of research and found all kinds of opinions on how to do it. Most people seemed to be against the buytl because it was outlawed and only urethane could be used. In the end, I came to the conclusion that most people that said that didn't know what they were talking about, or were specifically referencing glue in window glass. That does appear to be true when applied to a glue in window, but has no bearing on glass held in with a rubber gasket. In that case, it became an issue of what sealer to use (if any) and most wanted to use urethane, but (I think) the best advice was to use a non-hardening sealer.

In the end, I installed my glass using 3M bedding and glazing compound both on the metal and the glass. I went overboard with it and made a mess, but after pulling the glass and finding no sealer anywhere, and having a backseat floor full of water last winter and mold issues in the headliner because of it, I said never again. When I looked at the FSM, pretty sure it said it was needed at least across the front on the self and up the sides a little. In the end, I used it everywhere.

Bit of a full disclosure statement, can't say it worked yet because I can't get the car out to test the seal until spring. I know it made a mess, so I feel like I got it in every nook and cranny, but without running water over it I can't say for sure.

I have a neighbor that did body work for years....just recently stopped due to being physically worn out from it. Hope Mike has someone...

I also have a tube of 3M Bedding & Glazing Compound (butyl) and new gaskets too. Windshield trim clips seem to be temporarily out of stock everywhere, but since it'll be a while before final paint, I can't put the glass in anyway.

When installing the windshield, does the gasket go on the body then install the glass, or should I put the gasket on the glass and then install the assembly to the body?

I think I asked this somewhere else, so please excuse the duplicate post ;)
thanks
Charles

For most you will have a gasket with a lockstrip. These work best if installed to the metal frame first. I did a back glass with another member that had no lockstrip. For that one we put the rubber around the glass first and used a rope in the outer gasket groove I pulled the rope from inside the car to seat the gasket over the metal flange while he pushed the glass from outside.

I installed the new gaskets a few weeks prior to front and rear glass to let them relax. The local guy I hired to do the install just layed the glass over the gaskets with my help and popped them in mostly by hand with a little working of a soft tool to lock the strips. No leaks thus far as my rails were like new and very clean. No sealant what so ever was used. He was just excited to work on an old school car.

Edit: He did lift the gaskets and on the rear big glass make a little adjustment to a small section of the rail prior to popping it in.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if my car ('72 Swinger 2-door hardtop) is supposed to have a locking strip or not. It was completely disassembled when I got it...

With the rope install method I suppose the gasket-to-body butyl has to be squirted in after the glass/gasket is fully seated? I've had too many windshield leaks in different cars to go without sealant...

If the gasket is installed on the body first, should I squirt the butyl into the seal at the time of glass installation, or afterwards (lift up the lip of the seal and use a needle tip, as someone posted above)?

I'm not sure if my car ('72 Swinger 2-door hardtop) is supposed to have a locking strip or not. It was completely disassembled when I got it...

With the rope install method I suppose the gasket-to-body butyl has to be squirted in after the glass/gasket is fully seated? I've had too many windshield leaks in different cars to go without sealant...

If the gasket is installed on the body first, should I squirt the butyl into the seal at the time of glass installation, or afterwards (lift up the lip of the seal and use a needle tip, as someone posted above)?
I guess you could do it that way. The caulk gun stuff can be quite messy but will clean up with mineral spirits, laquer thinner... We used windoweld ribbon caulk on his. stuffed it into the gasket before the rope. I used that on the other gaskets to metal also. Everywhere except under the front one. I did my front glass with ribbon caulk under it and had to re-do it cause it leaked. That gasket is just laying on the metal shelf, not wrapped around a flange. The liquid in tube seals much better there.

For no leaks at all. Prob have to use window weld in both channels (body & glass). Basically never coming out again tho. Got to remember the glass and seals made now are copies, of copies, of copies. Also i would bet you a starbucks, these cars leaked when new. Just my opinion tho...

I just did mine but haven't driven in the rain yet. I used butul in body channel only with nothing in glass channel. I expect it to leak some but not my daily driver. Glass was china from eBay. Seal was classic industries or year one with self locking strip. Clips were eBay.

38BB5943-3876-41F3-9AA2-521F05D50985.jpeg

-
Back