Winter Interior Project

-

SharpDart71

Reaction score
Well the car has been laid to rest for the winter! (1971 Dart Swinger) I'm planning on really upgrading the guts of the interior. Overall as you can see from the pictures, the interior is in great shape, but behind and under the scenes, it needs some work. As far as the seats and door panels, i just plan on cleaning them up and setting to the side, my main concern and areas planned for work is listed below, please provide any input/experience with materials and quality of products as i am very open for suggestions and help. Not looking to spend a lot of money, but willing to buy necessary things and also going to ask the bearded guy in the red suit for some help too ;)

- Remove seats and door panels, and carpet. Set aside to clean and re-install
- Clean/scrape/wipe and paint the floor panels. Install new body plugs, X-Mat, firewall inslulation and sound deadening panels
- The dash is pretty crappy condition wise, so i'm going to be disassembling it and cleaning/repainting everything associated with it including the heater boxes and everything underneath. (What color would this interior be classified as? Any advice on installing LED style component lighting? It isn't very bright... Checking gauge lines etc...)
- Install newly gifted Grant Mopar steering wheel.
- Install new speakers and wire. I may end up replacing the kick panels as they have old holes in them.
- My glovebox door is pretty bent, gotta slam her, any advise on straightening it out?

Any other input would be great! it's an automatic too (for now) if that helps with anything.

Thanks!

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

I would first have to determine is the door itself bent or is it the hinge that is bent. Could be both but that door didn't bend easily. It wouldn't straighten easily either.
I think I would be looking to buy another hinge, door, or door w/hinge, waiting and praying for the correct blue.

As far as LEDs find a supplier that gives the lumen (brightness) output. I installed LEDs before realizing that and am not impressed with the brightness. Keep in mind that they are polarity specific.
Yote

Is the glove box door actually bent or just misaligned??? If misaligned, you can loosen the mounting screws, adjust/align, and tighten. The top latch can also be adjusted for a snug fit on closing.
Yote

Is the glove box door actually bent or just misaligned??? If misaligned, you can loosen the mounting screws, adjust/align, and tighten. The top latch can also be adjusted for a snug fit on closing.
Yote
I'll look into that, thanks!

As far as LEDs find a supplier that gives the lumen (brightness) output. I installed LEDs before realizing that and am not impressed with the brightness. Keep in mind that they are polarity specific.
Yote
I recently replaced all the bulbs in the instrument cluster with LEDs. They are much brighter and we’re NOT polarity specific, which was a surprise. I bought them from SuperbrightLEDs online. They have a pretty good vehicle specific fitment selection.

EF725484-A091-4018-A584-4B4F4AB54A1C.jpeg

42229F2F-1CD8-42A7-A815-E96EE1BDA38C.jpeg

-
Back