winter storage -before and after

-

beerboy

Reaction score
need some input here. should I start and run and drive my 73 duster 340 every now and then in the 4-5 months of winter storage, to get oil on the bearings? hearing a lot of different ideas on this, good- not good- to start , what is best? also when I go to run the car in the spring , should I put a bit of oil each cylinder before starting? change the oil before starting? or forget the above and let her sit? thanks for any info

I park em and forget em till spring. 3 in heated storage, one in an unheated spot!!

I agree with Cosig. If you start them at all for any reason, run the engine and get it WARM, fully up to temperature. Hell I drive mine on dry, nice, winter days!!!! (Of course as of a few weeks ago, it's in the "paint shop jail")

Even in a unheated garage you will get freeze/thaw which adds condensation to the insides of the engine. I leave the old oil in it until spring, then I freshen it up. You can change oil in the fall and start it a few times and move it during the winter if you like. A few feet forward and back in the garage will re-coat the ring gear and bearings in the rear. I'm sure some of the rhythmic humming noise in mine is from the topside of rear end bearings that didn't have lube protection because of setting for years. Just a thought. tmm

Naw, you're probably doing more harm than good by getting it warm then back down to sub zero. Better just to stay at sub zero until you're ready to use it.

I just leave it until spring. Fill it up with gas so you don't get condensation inside the tank. Don't forget to add stabilizer. Change the oil because used oil is acidic and will slowly damage the softer parts. Disconnect the battery. That's it.

In the spring I just put a bit of fuel in the carburetor so it starts up quickly and rock and roll with my fresh oil and full tank of gas!

For the love of God, don't put it up on blocks. That's a great way to ruin all your suspension bushings.

cool, I guess I over think things with this car. seeing your from Ontario, I am from buffalo / Rochester ny area, we both know what cold really is.going on you tube with the do this and do that thing, you get worried about messing up something in the motor as far as the oil and winter storage goes, I guess maybe I worry to much! when you have a lot of bucks tied up in something, you can get a little paranoid about this stuff

cool, I guess I over think things with this car. seeing your from Ontario, I am from buffalo / Rochester ny area, we both know what cold really is.going on you tube with the do this and do that thing, you get worried about messing up something in the motor as far as the oil and winter storage goes, I guess maybe I worry to much! when you have a lot of bucks tied up in something, you can get a little paranoid about this stuff

Ya, it gets plenty cold around these parts.

When it comes to storage everyone does their own thing for their own reasons. We all know a cold start is rough on an engine, so I leave the thing alone and I only start it if I'm going to take it out.

A friend of mine has a 92 Mustang (poor sucker) and he goes all out; he removes the wheels and brings them inside, removes the battery and brings it inside, he removes the drive belt...

I do take the battery out of the car in cold storage! Got more than 12 years out of my battery before changing it out this year! Geof

If you have plates/insurance on it year round just leave it ready to go and take it out when the roads are dry. We usually get some nice days around here during the winter where it's dry enough to drive a car that you care about.

okay what about when I start the beast in the spring, should I pull the plugs and give each cylinder a squirt of oil then turn it over with the plugs out ? or this another over kill thing?????

I just dump a little bit of fresh 2-cycle gas mix in the carb.
40:1 50:1 it does not matter.
2-cycle gas will oil the top end and rings.
Also make sure the battery is at full charge, so it starts instantly.

-
Back