winter storage jack stands placement

-

beerboy

Reaction score
whats the best place to put my jack stands -front and rear on my 1973 duster 340, it will be sitting for around 4 or 5 months in an unheated garage

I store my race car with the stands under the rear axle, and under the front lower control arms. That way the suspension is not sagging while it's stored. That's just my preference.

frame rails just behind the front tires are a good spot ? correct? one guy said under a arms. is it ok for front suspension to hang? I basicly just don,t want my tires to flat spot

if you have rubber upper and lower control arm bushings don't hang the front suspension.
those bushings are tightened at ride height and if left hanging will be distorted all winter.
...and then you'll be telling everybody those new bushings from China are cheap junk and don't last
....under the lower control arms for rubber bushings.

Just drive it inside and park it, pump the tires up to 40 pounds if you want.

The jack stands aren't going to do anything for you anyway. These things were designed to go 200,000ish miles on the road. If you think sitting on the suspension for 5 months will cause an issue, you are being paranoid.

Have it held up by the diff housing, and the LCA's.....leave the park brake off, and in neutral, and start it once a week for about 5 to 10 minutes, and run through the gears so oil is splashed around the diff, g'box, and engine.
Thats about the best way to have it for that amount of time.
Having the front suspension hanging also destroys the front upper bump stops.

I use nothing , drive it in throw er up in park .Make sure you check the Anti freeze where i live sometimes -30 ferhenheit , throw the cover on it .

yea, all I hear is you better do this and better do that. I filled the tank, put in stabil, I will max pressure the tires to 35 pounds, take out the battery, and leave it till march, I definitely don,t want to mess up any thing on my front end by hanging the front suspension,the guy I bought this from had it for 30 years and is a dodge dealer mechanic. he said he moved the car around every couple weeks or so, to keep from flat spotting tires, he also said the thing about sitting long on the springs and suspension was paranoid. he had the car for a long time and being a mopar mechanic --I would qualify him as in the know.

Put the stands in 99 cent basting pans with about an inch of old atf in them, keep rodents and all other creepy crawlers out. Axle and lca vote +1

As one of those 'lucky' persons who have had a house fire, I would not put the car on stands, you may have to get it out quickly.

Forgot about the battery , i leave mine in .But i make sure it is charged between 12.65 and 12.72 is 100 percent battery .And my dart starts great after 6 months .

Keep it covered. Throw in some dryer softener sheets and hook your battery up to a Battery Tender.

No jack stands ,Sea Foam in the fuel cell tire inflated battery charger once a week to keep it fresh.Laundry sheets in the interior.baggies and rubber bands around the exhaust because tennis balls are to small for 3 dia pipes.

If you are worried about flat spots get an old set of junkyard rims and tires for the winter and let them sit on that.

Only thing I ever done to mine was drain the coolant and the fuel. Pump up the tires and disconnect the battery. Worked good in 20 below. (yes it's gotten that cold in Arizona where we live in the mountains but that was a freak winter storm 3 years ago)
The ones posted about not hanging the suspension are correct. If your going to jack it up don't hang the suspension. It's hard on the bushings and the shocks, if your front bump stops are missing.
Paul

I'd leave it on the ground ready to roll and take it around the block a few times when the roads are dry if you keep the plates/insurance on it, or at least drive it up and down the driveway a few times once a month.

One blessing Florida has going for it , no winter storage necessary !!! Hey,at least there's one thing !!

I put mine in the back corner of the garage so I don't hit them when I'm pulling in and out for my weekend cruising .:burnout::poke:

These things were designed to go 200,000ish miles on the road.
I guess thats why they only put five digits to the left of the decimal in the odometers right?

These cars werent designed to even make it to 100k miles, the odometer proves that much.

-
Back