Wiper linkage upgrade

-

moparmandan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We are re-furbing the bushings in our wiper linkage and I'm thinking there has to be a better way then the little plastic bushings. Anybody ever try heim joints and threaded rod or something similar. I really don't ever want to do this again if I can help it. Something like this:
wiperheimimages.jpg

It would require modifying the wiper motor arm and pivot arms.
IDK if it's really worth it since the plastic bushings lasted 40 years, but I REALLY don't want to do this again any time soon. Did I mention that? haha.

Appreciate what you're doing, but think that is a lot of work when the real weak link is the motor.

We are re-furbing the bushings in our wiper linkage and I'm thinking there has to be a better way then the little plastic bushings. Anybody ever try heim joints and threaded rod or something similar. I really don't ever want to do this again if I can help it. Something like this:
View attachment 1715173166
It would require modifying the wiper motor arm and pivot arms.
IDK if it's really worth it since the plastic bushings lasted 40 years, but I REALLY don't want to do this again any time soon. Did I mention that? haha.

In my opinion those plastic bushings work perfectly.
Quiet, smooth and still readily available, but if they were not available I'd consider something else.

I'd bet the motor would be under strain from the extra load of moving the rods and heim joints. Thats A lot heavier than the stock linkages.
The plastic bushings can be a pita to install but work great.

I'd bet the motor would be under strain from the extra load of moving the rods and heim joints. Thats A lot heavier than the stock linkages.
The plastic bushings can be a pita to install but work great.
Yea that's pretty much what this is about, lol.

I don't agree with those bushings lasting 40 years. I replaced plenty back when they were only 15-20 years old at the time. Its usually the first thing I replace when I get a new mopar. Nothing worse than loosing your wipers in a downpour.

They aren't hard.
Poke a tiny hole in the top to let the air out when you squeeze them on.

I should have thought of that. The last ones I did were air locking on my and I destroyed a couple. I dont remember ever having that problem before so maybe some of them are made with a hole?

I hope that is what is kickin' my butt. I've got them pressed into the linkage, just squeezing them on the posts under the dash is a bear. And yes the cluster, radio and glove box liner is out. Guess I'll poke some holes in them.

Thanks to those (adriver) that recommended poking a hole in the bushings! That's the secret!

The HELP section of most parts stores have an assortment pack of wiper linkage bushings. There's two of the ones you need in each pack so buy two.

I put them in my Dakota a couple years back, and they lasted approximately six minutes. The Chinese plastic just fell apart.

I pulled apart a '72 dart in the salvage yard a few months ago, and it has brass bushings on steel pins all around, and it was perfect. No play, no drag.

But my '72 swinger has plastic bushings?

-
Back