Wiper wiring 3-speed '74 dart sport ?

-

Daniel S C

Wanted AWB ! Went for Drop-Top Max Wedge
Reaction score
My 3-speed motor has 5 wires coming from the armature 3 are covered with asbestos sleeve with bare wire ? Car came in pieces, with half of these wiper wires disconnected - anybody have a good idea how to determine what is what ? And connects where ? Pictures ? Diagrams ? Help ! Thx - Dan

16857223003212410512699375976398.jpg

I can send you a factory service manual if you pay the postage on a your USB stick and a self addressed return mailer.

mymopar.com has downloadable wiring diagrams, though that isn’t going to help you with bare wires.
On my 68 (might not be the same, yet a good chance) red, brown, & green from terminals E,F, G, connect directly to motor, blue (H) goes through the “park” switch under the motor cover.
Drawing is switch, through the firewall, to the motor.

F7EDD9BD-A509-450C-9F75-3C4C4FBDE891.jpeg

Last edited:
Plugs into the firewall connector, is one of the three.
Hi, I have the firewall connector w/ all 8 pins containing a wire - but all info I find state there should be 4 wires from the actual motor, not 5 ? Those three I asked about have no colors , just an asbestos sleeve, difficult to diagnose w/o color ? Plus why 5 wires ? Thx

mymopar.com has downloadable wiring diagrams, though that isn’t going to help you with bare wires.
On my 68 (might not be the same, yet a good chance) red, brown, & green from terminals E,F, G, connect directly to motor, blue goes through the “park” switch under the motor cover.
Drawing is switch, through the firewall, to the motor.

View attachment 1716097491
I believe the newer version is different, but colors in half of firewall connector ( 8 total ) are the same as yours - I hope to get a meter on it Sunday/Monday, run some tests , 1 of the switches I have matches your diagram I think ? ( were 2 in the car ) , what a crazy system, many versions ! Thx brother - I'll keep digging & posting

I can send you a factory service manual if you pay the postage on a your USB stick and a self addressed return mailer.
I have a Chrysler '74 shop manual, it's for all cars and all systems ? Is yours different from that ? Thx , appreciate it !

16857540045804656401826604604138.jpg

16857540379045016520689438812004.jpg

^^What you need should be in there^^ Look in the Chapter 8 not just the wiring diagrams, but the text section, there should be a few pages on the wipers.

The section in wiring is mostly page 8-165. Also go on past that starting with page 8-168 and beyond. Go to page 8-176 CI-11 which means "connector, Instrument #11" This shows the layout of the switch and it's wire connections.

Because the 74 diagrams are drawn differently than 72/ earlier, I would download the 72 manual from MyMopar.com and copy the section on wipers and compare it. If the same it will be easier to follow

That sounds great, I'm sure it will help - 1st chance I'll look back further into this manual - I'll order the older info next week - it will be good for comparison, you never know what went on during this cars life, I might run into mix & match ( whatever someone had they made it work ) Thx so much all - I'll update as I work through it !

What are the numbers stamped on the motor. Could you take a few more photos of the wires.

First chance, I hope to get time tomorrow to look at it again, I tried looking at them earlier and couldn't read them all - I need to wire brush for a better look ! Thx , Dan

Can anyone tell me if the 2 or 3- speed wiper motors just circle or goes reverse also ? I am going to try and do some tests on this today and wasn't aware how that operates ? Thanks again for all your help guys ! I'll put up more pictures as soon as I get in front of it !

I'll be back, if you can't make out what you want, I need to run !

16858961248648312338808371416273.jpg

16858961522056423469173786280563.jpg

Question about photo from post 13.
The lower most wire has been snapped off, so lets disregard it for the moment. The other two wires coming from the motor are spliced into the main harness. What color are the two wires from the main harness.

Question about photo from post 13.
The lower most wire has been snapped off, so lets disregard it for the moment. The other two wires coming from the motor are spliced into the main harness. What color are the two wires from the main harness.
Coming out, all 3(including the broken 1) are bare wires , no colors and have what appears to be asbestos sleeve ? The 2 connected are green / brown in the harness, someone's really had a time making a mess ! Thx !

Coming out, all 3(including the broken 1) are bare wires , no colors and have what appears to be asbestos sleeve ? The 2 connected are green / brown in the harness, someone's really had a time making a mess ! Thx !
The 1 in the center of those 3 that looks darker is a heavier wire but still bare w/ asbestos sleeve

Being able to identify color codes of two out of the three wires helps. The third bare wire is spliced into the red wire in the harness. Lets try and show the location of the three wires left. The other two wires coming out of the motor are soldered to a terminal on the switch plate.
Now look at figure 13 on page 8-125 in the factory service manual. Look at the harness held to the motor by a clamp. The first wire to the far left goes to a second terminal on the switch plate as seen in figure 13. When this wire was new, it was dark blue. Because of age and heat , it may appear to be greenish blue.
The fabric sheathing on most of the fifty year motors has disintegrated. You might want to dab some red, green and brown paint on the bare wires in case one or more get disconnected. Good Luck.

Being able to identify color codes of two out of the three wires helps. The third bare wire is spliced into the red wire in the harness. Lets try and show the location of the three wires left. The other two wires coming out of the motor are soldered to a terminal on the switch plate.
Now look at figure 13 on page 8-125 in the factory service manual. Look at the harness held to the motor by a clamp. The first wire to the far left goes to a second terminal on the switch plate as seen in figure 13. When this wire was new, it was dark blue. Because of age and heat , it may appear to be greenish blue.
The fabric sheathing on most of the fifty year motors has disintegrated. You might want to dab some red, green and brown paint on the bare wires in case one or more get disconnected. Good Luck.
OK, I appreciate that but someone has rearranged these, the blue wire as well as others are still visible on the harness side. The motor though has 2 - Black and 3 covered with the sleeve = 5 wires, everything I can find has 4 wires ? I will keep running tests for continuity and good solid connections - following the tests/charts as best I can - Thx so much , I'll keep posting as I'm probing -

Maybe you could expand on the statement " everything I can find has 4 wires".

I wish I had more on this. I find that Mopar wipers are very poorly documented, and of course the web based rebuilder seems to have gone away practically speaking.

(formerly passion 4 mopars)

See if this helps

I wish I had more on this. I find that Mopar wipers are very poorly documented, and of course the web based rebuilder seems to have gone away practically speaking.

(formerly passion 4 mopars)

See if this helps

[/URL]

[/URL]
That's fine, appreciate any help, I'll figure out a way, even if I change it over to a 2-speed , I got sidetracked for a few days , my job description is now temporarily hanging @ BF's house watching and taking care of their dog ( just had surgery) they went out of town / I'll find a way to get wipers , apparently the hard way - LOL Thx

-
Back