Wipers - Won't stop at bottom

-

68BBCuda

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 68 barracuda that I am finally starting up and have run into a wiper issue. It has the variable speed switch and matching motor. The wipers stop in whatever position they are in when you turn the switch to off, and they do not go to the bottom. Any idea as to whether it's the switch? or where to start? I've looked into the wiring diagram and all looks stock.

thanks
Robert

When you say variable speed what do you mean? 2 or 3 speed or some delay set up? I know my 71 dart doesn't self park wipers. Thought that was something that came along a few years later.

All electric wipers park when turned off. The park mechanism is in the motor assembly.

Been many years since I've seen the info, but thought the was a way to take the motor apart and re-index it.

contact kim at passion mopar (sp) expert on wipers -- the variable units used from 68-70 are unique & finicky, Lawrence

If the wiper switch is not grounded it wont park ,chased this problem before.

pull wiper blades/arms off and index with switch in off. then reinstall. a few splines off and that could be it

iT CAN ALSO BE THE CONTACT DISK IN THE WIPER IS NOT MAKING CONTACT, TAKE IT APART AND MAKE DURE THE "BRUSHES" ARE CONTACTING, JUST HAD THIS ON A 88 D150.

pull wiper blades/arms off and index with switch in off. then reinstall. a few splines off and that could be it

Not possible! They will either come off the side of the windshield, or bash against the hood!! The problem is in the park mechanism, and along with the glovebox removal procedure, is maybe one of the more difficult to remedy Mopar problems!!

I don't know the fix, but would like to, Nellas car needs that remedied too!!

Mine only park if I shut them off on the way down.
If I turn them off on the way up, they just stop.

I had the same problem on my 72 dart with 3 speed wipers. Found the problem. Parking in the motor. Plastic gear teeth. Their was two chunks of teeth broken away from the ring gear. I converted to a 2 speed with lifetime warranty.

iT CAN ALSO BE THE CONTACT DISK IN THE WIPER IS NOT MAKING CONTACT, TAKE IT APART AND MAKE DURE THE "BRUSHES" ARE CONTACTING, JUST HAD THIS ON A 88 D150.

Omni/Horizons were notorious for this. The grease they used to waterproof the contacts would turn to glue after a few years. Don't think I ever saw this on an A though. Only time I had a park issue was after water got in the motor.

Yep, Check the ground tab, make sure it aint broke right where the nut locks it down to the housing.

Thanks for all the replies. As it turns out the ground tab is broken. When I manually ground the wiper switch the wipers will now not stop at all even when the switch is in the off position. Haha. Got to like these electrical problems. I tested continuity of the switch terminals as per the service manual and the switch tests as it should. It doesn't appear to be a problem there. Any more suggestions are welcome and I will contact Kim at passion mopar as suggested as well!

Cheers
Robert

Any pics of what the ground strap looks like? I never really took a look at my switch as I just a assumed stopping right when you turned them off was how they were supposed to work.

-
Back