Wire Mapping

-
??wires??

Wiring harness?

Wiring diagram?

Shop manual?

Spark plug wires?

Wire wheels?

The wiring for the rear of the car should all run down the left side. Just inside
the left side sill plate. under the carpet edge. It will part off as it go's back
for the different options. Then back to the lights and fuel sender.
Is that what you are looking for?

Forget mapping them, use tie-wraps to keep them from running.

Oh sure, next thing you'll have a riot on yer hands

20111002_PROTEST-slide-UP67-blog480.jpg

sorry I did mean wire harness's, re wiring the car and I would like to run them the same way or better.

Are you talking about all harnesses or just the engine bay? Usually the wires inside the cabin are fine and can just be tuned up (clean connectors, re-sheath). Engine wires usually get hard and brittle. You still didn't tell us what engine.

Remove the old harness and mount it on a slab of plywood with bends of the harness matched by bending it on the board too. Use nails or screws at each bend to guide them. Draw lines on the plywood to show individual Wires, colors and termination points. Then remove the old harness and lay the new wires in the correct paths, matching colors and gauges of the wires onto the board. Then install connectors and do the wraps. Use the non-sticky tape to match the originals. Buy new connectors if you can find them, or clean and lube the old connectors (either dielectric or lithium grease).

A carefully constructed harness is easy to do and will give you a great sense of pride too.

If you plan to rewire the car for the same OEM equipment,
a factory service manual should be all you need.
If you plan to upgrade electrically, there a places where you will need to add wires and places where you should increase the gauge of wire used in a 68 model.
This is where having diagrams from a later model can help.

Take plenty of pics. I didn't on my 67. I figured it wouldn't be apart that long that I would forget where everything went, yeah right! I did leave all of the relays, voltage regulator, ballast resistor hooked up to the wiring, though, so when it came time to reinstall the wiring I just figured out where each of those components went, then figured out how the wiring ran between them, although I was really scratching my head for a while on the location of the horn relay.

Aaron

Take plenty of pics.

THIS

wrjjol.jpg

'Few years ago I switched engines in my old 86 Ranger V6. With all the emissions, harness, vacuum lines, etc, photos are the best thing I could ever recommend.

I've bought some cameras at the thrift stores, some as cheap as 5 bucks US for a decent, out of date 2--5 megapixel digi camera.

Get something like and "dedicate" it to your tools so you don't have to worry about banging it up, getting it greasy. Get one that uses common batteries, IE AA batteries

I use a small video camera with a built in digital camera for 2 reasons one I already had it, and two then I can take video of the said part and pan back and forth and have extra evidence if I forgot anything. I think I had pics of the engine compartment saved on another computer.

this is how I redo harnesses. First I tag all of the connectors, then while unwrapping, I tie the harness with lacing cord at every split and on long runs. This keeps the harness in it's original shape. Damaged or deleted wires can be pulled out and new or upgrades can be installed exactly where they need to be. You can clean the harness and connectors while it's unwrapped. after i'm finished, I rewrap it with Year Ones harness wrap, which is exactly like the original wrap. The harness pictured is for a 69 Dart, you can see what a fine job someone did on the alternator upgrade wiring. This harness was butchered enough to justify a complete rework.

Attachments

• DSCN2123.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN2124.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN1984.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 167
Ok lets try this again, I have a 68 Dart with no wiring and I am not sure if I am going to look for an original or go aftermarket like Painless but either way I am wondering wher to run all wires, engine, cabi and trunk. There is a lot of good tips here, thanks all

This thing is a two way street. I already asked you what you have for wiring diagrams or a shop manual.

The closest "we" can get here is for 69, thanks to AbodyJoe:

[ame="http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/69%20dodge%20service%20manual.pdf"]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/69%20dodge%20service%20manual.pdf[/ame]

Wiring index page 8-96

Now, the 69 manual does not seem to have harness layouts, but the SEVENTY manual does and harness routing should be very similar:

[ame]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/70%20Dart%20Challenger%20Serv%20Man1.pdf[/ame]

Wiring diagram index page 8-85

8-102 starts some of the harness layout

More is available in the 70 manual from MyMopar

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1970_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

In the above manual, you have to play with page numbers, because these are consecutive. Around page 395. You have to paw through these because Ma didn't see fit to group all the A body stuff in one group of pages.

Does "no wiring at all" mean everywhere? No engine harness, no lights harness, no wiper wires, no dash harness, no body harness, no steering column wires, no dome light wires, not even a tail harness? Everything might cost >$1000 from after-market shops. I would at least get the body harnesses from a junkyard car. Those wires are usually fine.

-
Back