Wiring harness repair

-

rklein383

Reaction score
Just spent numerous hours repairing my son's 67 notchback's engine wiring harness. It was a mess. One wire had three crimped splices. I used another partial harness to solder and heat shrink splices into the harness to make one decent harness. The wires are a little brittle near the connectors, but it's not in the budget to buy a new harness.

Firing up his 340 is only a short time away!

I have to admit having my 69 383-s next to it makes it a little easier to see how the wiring harness is supposed to be taped up and where the routing should be!
Rod

Thanks for the report.

I gave up on the brittle factory wiring altogether. Instead, I ran all new wires, using an underhood relay box (90's Jeep). That gives many new features, but isn't for the faint of heart. Lookup my post if interested. 67Dart273 did similar.

Just spent numerous hours repairing my son's 67 notchback's engine wiring harness. It was a mess. One wire had three crimped splices. I used another partial harness to solder and heat shrink splices into the harness to make one decent harness. The wires are a little brittle near the connectors, but it's not in the budget to buy a new harness.

Firing up his 340 is only a short time away!

I have to admit having my 69 383-s next to it makes it a little easier to see how the wiring harness is supposed to be taped up and where the routing should be!
Rod

There are a few spots in that models wiring harness where improvements are fairly simple. If you're not changing the charging system, ignition system, or adding stereo/amps, fog lamps, etc.., those changes aren't necessary.

I am not opposed to mods or that I am nervous about them. It's my son's car and I don't want to do most of the work, so getting it in acceptable working condition is all that is needed. I am just trying to get him kick started to finish the project.

Once he hears that 340 fire up, I think he will get fired up.

Rod

-
Back