Wiring up for 110A Alternator question.

-

100VALIANT

Reaction score
Hi All. I’m hoping you can double check what I am doing before I mess something up. I have a 1969 Valiant with a 408 and 904. I am putting a Proform 110A alternator on it.

The car is using an in tank Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump. I am regulating it down to 6-7psi. I only chose this for e85 purposes. I am still using a mechanical water pump and factory style fan and shroud set-up for a 1970 Plymouth Duster.

So far, I have.
  • By passed the ballast resistor by wiring all 4 wires together. I had a 2 terminal Ballast resistor with 2 wires on each terminal.
    • I have a full MSD ignition with 6AL, billet distributor and MSD coil.
  • Pulled the green and blue wire off the voltage regulator and removed the voltage regulator.
    • I am running an aftermarket Voltage gauge and don’t mind that the factory ammeter will not read out.
    • I removed the Field wire that ran to the alternator.
    • I removed the blue ballast resistor wire that ran to the alternator.

What I am planning on doing is.
  • Running a #2 AWG cable from the trunk to the + on the alternator.
  • Running a #8 AWG from the alternator to the starter relay.
Also, what should I do with the factory black wire that was used to read off of the factory alternator?

Is there something I may have missed, done wrong, or should ideally change? I’ve read about bulkheads melting or not handling added amperage so I’d like to get ahead of any issues I may encounter if I go with what I am planning on. Thank you for your help on this.

I think cable sized are to small of a gauge for that current load at that distance.

Using a 12V distribution lug mounted under the hood can help you manage your charging and starting circuits easier. I use a modified MADD wiring schematic including the remote voltage sensing at the battery itself.

I highly recommend using circuit breakers and proper size fusing/circuit breakers for any significant electrical load.

-
Back