Won’t shift after new torque converter

-

standup303

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 69 Dart with a 360la/727. I changed the flex plate to a B&M balancer one as the last owner had the incorrect plate in and a new Hughes converter. Now the car won’t shift out of 2nd. It shifted a few times at about 3k but now if I even if I manually shift it won’t go into 3rd.

Trans is slightly over filled so I need to drain a bit, would that cause it to not shift?

There is also a grinding noise from the front of the trans as soon as I put it in drive, but only when the cars warmed up. Did this with the old converter too but the car shifted great. I’ll try to post a video of the noise later.

I noticed the car didn’t have a return spring on the kickdown, installed one and made sure kick down was properly adjusted, still won’t shift.

Do any of you have ideas on what it could be?

You sure the converter seated on the trans shaft correctly, no binding?

Reach out to Chris @ Andrews Racing Transmissions, he is in Colorado.

his handle on here is @Duster346

Hey all,

I have a 69 Dart with a 360la/727. I changed the flex plate to a B&M balancer one as the last owner had the incorrect plate in and a new Hughes converter. Now the car won’t shift out of 2nd. It shifted a few times at about 3k but now if I even if I manually shift it won’t go into 3rd.

Trans is slightly over filled so I need to drain a bit, would that cause it to not shift?

There is also a grinding noise from the front of the trans as soon as I put it in drive, but only when the cars warmed up. Did this with the old converter too but the car shifted great. I’ll try to post a video of the noise later.

I noticed the car didn’t have a return spring on the kickdown, installed one and made sure kick down was properly adjusted, still won’t shift.

Do any of you have ideas on what it could be?
You had to pull the transmission to replace the flex plate and converter. Your kickdown linkage is out of adjustment.

-
Back