Wondering about my combo

-

69vlnt

Reaction score
Hi new here , I was wondering about my combo , I'm hoping for low 12's if not high 11's , the car is a 1969 valiant , 2800 stall in a 904 with shift kit , stock 360 magnum with mild ported magnum heads , comp cams xr286-hr , air gap intake , 650 Holley mechanical secondary's , headers , 2 1/2 exhaust with flow masters , and a 8 3/4 with 4:30 gears and 28 inch tall slicks . Just wondering , motor is going in about two weeks , just weighting for my windage tray to get here !!

I forgot to add , I used mr gaskets head gaskets with .028 compresion thickness to help compresion

Hi new here , I was wondering about my combo , I'm hoping for low 12's if not high 11's , the car is a 1969 valiant , 2800 stall in a 904 with shift kit , stock 360 magnum with mild ported magnum heads , comp cams xr286-hr , air gap intake , 650 Holley mechanical secondary's , headers , 2 1/2 exhaust with flow masters , and a 8 3/4 with 4:30 gears and 28 inch tall slicks . Just wondering , motor is going in about two weeks , just weighting for my windage tray to get here !!

I agree with doogie. 11's is pretty optimistic. Not sure if you'll even get in the 12's with that combo. I'm going to say low-mid 13's. Depending on how well the heads flow, a 650 might be a bit on the small side; you might want to go with a 750.

2800-3200 boss hog , I'll prob change the converter to 3500-4000 in the summer , this is just a weekend fun car , but I want it to run good !! What would you change on combo ? Eventually I will be putting a 150 shot on top of it :) , but I want to get the car dield in first !

Heads flow 209 stock , we blended the bowl , and cleaned up the valve guide and gasket matched the intake

As mentioned earlier I would start with a bigger carb. I would drop some big money on a converter, that's a big part.

It's hard to say until you get a pass in. It's not easy to get a stock stroke small block into the elevens. It takes some real head work and ditching a lot of weight.

Also I wouldn't spray that motor much if at all. If you didn't build the motor to be on nitrous then don't run it. Some guys say you can get by with a 100 shot or so without doing anything besides going through your fuel system. If your going to be spraying the motor every weekend when you beat on it with a 150 shot you MIGHT be ok but it's a big risk. Not to mention it's real easy to get comfortable with a 150 shot and then move up to a 250 and when you do that your really putting a lot of stress on that motor. If your going to build a motor to run 400 hp then do it. If you throw a 250 shot at it then your little 400 hp small block will in danger.

Get the motor in and make a pass. Post a picture of your slip and guys here will help you get the most out of your combo which I believe is mid 12s.

I'm doing a similar build. 69 valiant with a 360 magnum, eq heads, roller cam. I think my cam is going to be milder than yours and I'm going 3.23 gears. The car only weighs about 2800lbs so I don't think its gonna take a bunch of ponies to make it go.

I'm guessing you could be in the 12 second range.

If it hooks with a good tune that should run 11's pretty easy.

An xe268H cammed 360 9:1, LD340, 750DP, headers will run 12.50-105 mph with a good tune on it.

Cool thanks , next winter I will prob Chang heads , but I just want to se how much I can get out of this one first !!

mid 12s as is. low 12s or better when you dial in motor and get it to hook. Put a vacuum gauge on it and see how close to 0 inches of vacuum your at WOT thru the trap. Then decide if a bigger carb will help.

12:50's- 12:80's, first time out, is my thoughts. 11 second E.T.'s , come with lots of learning, analysis, & asking lots of questions. The moral of the story: It takes time, and tuning.

-
Back