Won't Start

-

MOPAR_JEFF

Reaction score
Help!!

When My 67 318 Barracuda Gets Up To 180f She Won't Start.
Have Brand New Starter And The Biggest Brand .new Battery Avalable.

Thanks,

Mopar Jeff

Have you checked for spark when it's hot and won't start. If there is no spark and you've got the MP high voltage distributor then replace the little black cube (reluctor) inside the distributor. If it's a fuel boil off issue with the carb install a 1/2" open composite spacer and if you don't drive the car in the winter block off the intake exhaust transfer ports that route the exhaust through the intake for carb heat in the winter.

Terry

Car Starts Fine Cold But It Wont Crank At All When Hot
I Am Running A Stock Distributor That Has Pertronics Guts
Not Sure About The Reluctor
I Have Brand New Holley 600 With.the 1/2 "woden Spacer

Car Starts Fine Cold But It Wont Crank At All When Hot
I Am Running A Stock Distributor That Has Pertronics Guts
Not Sure About The Reluctor
I Have Brand New Holley 600 With.the 1/2 "woden Spacer

Lets back up a bit, are saying that it doesn't turn over when hot or it turns over fine but won't fire up.

Terry

terry,

frustrating problem,
it has a fresh engine is from a 69 coronet
everything siezes up after shutting down with block up to temp.
wait about 30 minutes and she starts just fine

terry,

frustrating problem,
it has a fresh engine is from a 69 coronet
everything siezes up after shutting down with block up to temp.
wait about 30 minutes and she starts just fine

Okay, try this, drive her till she's hot and won't turn over then put a 1/2" drive socket and ratchet on the end of the crank and see if she's actually siezed.

Terry

check your negative and postive cables from the battery sometimes there to long or the wrong gauge and wont let you crank over until they cool off from the heat fo the engine ive seen this problem before if the positive cable is to close to a set of headers or exhaust pipe causing the cable to overheat thats why they had a heat shield on the starter alot of times the shield is tossed away remember heat causes resistance in electrical lines more resistance the less power flows through it also check your engine ground straps

i would check the starter soleniod. common problem on cars with headers, the soleniod gets hot and won't move. i battled this problem for a year on my van before i figured it out. have you tried jumping the terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver when this happens? might want to have a friend in the car to ensure that its not going to move when you do it....
-Tim

i will check this out
refresh my memory, just where is the solenoid located

-
Back