WooHoo -> My favorite farm stand opened today!

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
I live in the south west suburbs of Chicago. I grew up here when I was a kid also. There used to be lots of farms around here, unfortunately due to urban sprawl, there are only two fields that I know of left. Most of the farms have sold off their land and it is now homes, malls, etc. :banghead:

Being that this is the mid-west, we have alot of corn farmers. Luckily there are still some left south of us. There's nothing like eating fresh corn less than 1 day off of the stalk..... :angel12:

There was a farm stand near the second neighborhood that I lived in that opened up about 30 years ago and sold some of their goods to us locals. They pick their food fresh the night before, or the morning of, when they put it out for sale. Their crops are grown 45 minutes south of here now in Kankakee, IL. :usa2:

My brother knows one of the people that live on the farm land where their stand is. Well the owner sold the land to the city many years back on the condition that he still could control what happens on the land until he dies. Well, he died this spring. We weren't sure if the city was still going to let them continue. Luckily they have, and they are back this year. ---> Whew... [-o<

The lady says that it's year to year now, but the city does not have a problem with them staying there and selling their goods. :sunny:

So I went there today to get some corn, onions, peaches, and tomatos. The peaches are as crisp as a fresh apple, I need to let them ripen a little... The corn is a little small, since it is early in the season, but will be bigger in 2-3 weeks. It's delicious!!! Crisp & sweet... :cherry:

Luckily, we've had a good year for rain here and it's rained pretty much 2-4 days a week here this year. This will be good for the farm stand crops. I can't wait until the corn season is in full swing. :cheers:

I like going to the farm stands and supporting my local farmers. It's good for our local economy, and the food is so fresh. You can't get this stuff in the local grocery stores as fresh as the farm stands. There are also a few different stands around, some have some crops that the others do not. It's fun to go to the different ones and see what they have. Of course, the one near my old neighborhood is still my favorite/main one as long as they are still going. :heart:

Here's some pictures of today's fresh corn:

Fresh from the stand:

View attachment Corn A02 B.jpg

Shucked & trimmed:

View attachment Corn A04 B.jpg

Washed:

View attachment Corn A05 B.jpg

Bring water to a boil:

View attachment Corn A07 B.jpg

Boil for 13 minutes:

View attachment Corn A08 B.jpg

Remove corn when done and butter while still hot:

View attachment Corn A11 B.jpg

Hot, buttered, and ready to eat:

View attachment Corn A13 B.jpg

Taste test... Awesome!

View attachment Corn A14 B.jpg

Tonight's dinner. Beef & Noodles with Corn:

View attachment Corn A16 B.jpg

PS: My oldest son ate 6 of those himself. He loves fresh corn also.

Take some of that corn and leave it in the shuck, place in microwave for 6 minutes, then cut the big end off in the first kernels, then hold the small end in your hand and shake. The ear will drop out without a silk on it and now you are ready to butter and eat. I do it this way all the time, Joe

That looks like the fresh local corn we get here called "peaches and cream". Damn it's good!

...I gotta say that looks like it was freakin' good! One of my "local" complaints is not getting good corn on the cob for boiling! I used to live in Pennsylvania and there the Amish had good day old/picked corn like seen here, nothing here where I live now in New Hampshire the farms locally now are for tourism, and not the true life farming just about everything is hauled in from other places as to "dig" here is a PITA....one shovel full is about 7/7th rock and very little dirt....

anyone ever explain a food chain to you ?

MAN
chicken
corn

corn is on the very bottom, chicken eats corn. man is on the top, man eats chicken

your not supposed to skip chicken ;)

Try soaking corn in cold water while still in the husk, and then grilling it in the husk, also.

When it's done, peel back the husk, and enjoy.
You can use the husk as a handle if you leave it attached to the corn after peeling (or husking).

It's much crisper than when corn on the cob is boiled.

Thanks for the reminder Karl. Once you've tasted fresh-picked, the supermarket corn leaves you disappointed.

Gonna try the microwave method.

anyone ever explain a food chain to you ?

MAN
chicken
corn

corn is on the very bottom, chicken eats corn. man is on the top, man eats chicken

your not supposed to skip chicken ;)

hello, what's beef & noodles??? chopped liver????

We eat meat with our veggies.

I have 6 lbs of 90% lean ground chuck from Sam's club to make some burgers tonight... Mmmm, burger....

[ame]http://youtu.be/QZCXVCAHrgI[/ame]

Love fresh produce...

The shots of the corn is mouth watering but please don't show any follow ups of what happens to the corn after it has been eaten.

Love fresh produce...

The shots of the corn is mouth watering but please don't show any follow ups of what happens to the corn after it has been eaten.

Don't worry.

I think that this gets the point across..... :pottytra:

Corn and noodles. To many carbohydrates for a diabetic. I'll stick with just the corn butter and salt. A meal in itself.

Try soaking corn in cold water while still in the husk, and then grilling it in the husk, also.

When it's done, peel back the husk, and enjoy.
You can use the husk as a handle if you leave it attached to the corn after peeling (or husking).

It's much crisper than when corn on the cob is boiled.

And boiling gets rid of the flavor. Grilling brings out the natural sweetness.

Personally, I like shucking, wrapping it in foil with just a pat of butter and throwing it directly on the coals. Gets a few kernels charred that way, too.

And boiling gets rid of the flavor.

Only if you boil it for 13 minutes. :banghead:

We do ours a number of ways, but mostly in water. We put the corn in cold water bring it to a boil and turn the burner off, cover and let it just sit in the hot water for a few minutes.

It comes out snappy crispy, sweet and juicy.

Thanks Kuda It makes me feel like we live in paradise,Around here there are stands on every corner and we take it for granted,Nothing like grilled corn on the cob but you guys are missing something !!!!!!!! take the corn husk it and wash ,take a piece of BACON and wrap it around the cob,Wrap in foil and grill,Takes about a half hour,keep turning it and when its done it will be the best damn ear of corn your ever had. BACON makes everything better--Steve

Here we go! Now it's prime corn season, the ears are now big! Check out how big these are compared to the first posts....

View attachment Corn B02 B.jpg

Stacked.

View attachment Corn B03 B.jpg

Peeled and washed..

View attachment Corn B04 B.jpg

Check it out over 8" long...

View attachment Corn B05 B.jpg

Cooked and buttered, ready to eat..

View attachment Corn B06 B.jpg

Here's the watermelon. I notice that the rhine is thinner than some of the other ones that I've seen...

View attachment Watermelon Farm B.jpg

I love fresh corn. I have the weekly farm stand across my house on sat.
But all I can think about when corn is mentioned:
[ame]http://youtu.be/2ftOKO0nx-w[/ame]

-
Back