words used incorrectly in the car world

-

69DARTS

69 Darts Rule
Reaction score
like the word nos or solid
what do u guys have
let see em

NOS = nitrous oxide system? I don't see how anybody can get that wrong.... unless you're thinking how people use acronyms as if they are words.. like scuba -- self contained underwater breathing apparatus..?

I really don't know anybody that stupid, sorry. :(

Really nos means new old stock found it

Why yes, yes it does. Unfortunately it's become a noun of it's own with the import crowd. NOS is a company that makes nitrous oxide kits for vehicles. Now, seems that no matter who made the kit, you put Nawz on it. I run across it so much in my work that I don't even notice it anymore. I just kind of white noise it in my head and move on. Except for maybe the word RESTORE.

And how NUMBERS MATCHING to some people means it still sports factory paint or engine.....but numbers matching means it is what it was the day it rolled off the line ....not just bits and pieces.

NOS: New old stock is a tricky one. I think it should mean only factory parts but many use it to describe aftermarket parts for old cars. NORS: new old replacement stock

JDM: It means "Japanese Domestic Market", i.e., vehicles and components built by Japanese companies for sale and use in Japan. It does not mean "Japanese-spec", "cool", "excellent", "superior", or anything else. And the "D"-for-Domestic part is important, too. There are JDM Subarus, Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, and Mitsubishis, but although Chevrolets and BMWs and Mercedes and Chryslers are available in Japan, none of them are JDM; they're all Japanese-market items. Likewise, there's nothing such as an "EDM" or "USDM" Honda or Toyota or Subaru.

Repo: It means "repossessed" or "repossession". It does not mean reproduction, which is sometimes shortened to repro or, for some bizarre reason, "repop".

Side markers: are at the front and rear of both sides of each vehicle first sold or imported into the US or Canada since 1/1/68. The turn signal flashers located behind each front wheel, required virtually everywhere outside North America and increasingly present on North American vehicles, are side turn signals or, more commonly, repeaters.

trunk-deck lid ,front fender-front quarters , wheels-rims, tires-wheels, fluid-oil and many more that people mention that makes it tougher to know for sure what specifically someone is talking about.

The word I see used incorrectly most often when it comes to cars is

Investment

LOL

FWIW N02 is nitrogen dioxide

Nitrous Oxide is N20

Nitrous Oxide Systems is the "Noss" from the product placement in the Fast and the Furious movie, I never heard anyone call it that before that movie came out. To be honest I haven't heard anyone call nitrous "noss" for years.

How about boot and bonnet??? Petrol, anyone? I tell you, my wife watches WAY too much BBC America. My six year old is now calling a parking lot a car-park.

On a side note, my wife does know the difference between wheels and tires. Of course, knowing her, she'd spell tire with a y...

Where I live people call fenders, quarters. Where I'm from, quarters are 1/4 panels (IE: rear 1/4 of the car!) Now I can see calling 1/4's/ fenders if you have a VW bug!
Here in the West everyone sees to call a vehicle a rig. I'm used to a car , truck, van, or the actual name of the vehicle!

And how NUMBERS MATCHING to some people means it still sports factory paint or engine.....but numbers matching means it is what it was the day it rolled off the line ....not just bits and pieces.

Not sure I understand this........ Numbers matching means that parts that were marked with the vin are still in the car. Engine block and transmission for example.

At least that is how it has been for the last 20+ years.

Beyond that further description is needed......... Something like 100% correct casting numbers and date codes.

I absolutely love the term "Light" or "Easy" stuck in front of 'restoration.' If you are pulling a car apart, nothing light or easy about it. It's called work for a reason, some just sucks more (sometimes alot more) than others.

When Mopar guys use the term Posi. It's done all the time. Posi-traction was the Chevy limited slip, the proper term is Sure Grip.

*gets of self righteous soap box*

Talked to a guy one time who said he had a Six Pac set up on his Pontiac.
I asked him how he got a Mopar intake to fit on his 389. Got a funny look.

Someone made mention of "frame off's" on unibody Mopars. How many times have you seen that written up in the local Auto Trader or on eBay? Cracks me up every time I see it.

Using the word "restored" to describe a quick paint job.

Using the word "restored" to describe a modified car.

-
Back