Worst body job ever

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have Seen The Car In Person All Along The Work. Don You Had Posted Here That The Work Was Being Done Right. You Had Even Posted Some Pics Of The Progress And Was Very Happy. At 2800 For Body Work And Paint Under Hood Trunk And Inside Doors Is A Steal As Far As I Am Concerned. This Is Not A Concourse Restoration. I Paid 1100.00 For My 318 Running 72 Duster. Sure I Had To Travel 12 Hours One Way Too Pick It Up But Much Better In The Long Run. I Just Think Your Jumping All Over This For No Reason At All. If Or When You Post Some Pics On Here These Guys Will See You Were Given A Very Good Deal. Remember This Did Not Take 2 Years Too Finish But 6 Weeks Is What You Give Him Give Or Take A Week Or Two. He Only Does This On Weekends So Time Was A Factor. Yes He Missed A Spot But So Did You Just Before Paint. He Did Fix His Mistake Without Any Bad Feedback From Him. You Know l That I Am On Here All The Time And That I Would See Your Response. Not Sure If It Was To Get My Attention Or Not. But It Did. Family Is Family. I Usually Stay Out Of These Types Of Business But When You Post Something Like This[Worst Body job Ever] Then I Feel I Need To Set Things Straight. Not Trying Too Cause Any Problems For This Great Cite Cause I Use It Every Day And Its Like A Band Of Brother's And Sisters To Me. But It Needs To Be Settled Like Adults And Not This Way. Not Sure What Posting This Was To Accomplish. Please Post Some Pics So The Guys Can Tell You The Truth. Maybe Someone Can Post The Other Threads That You Put Up Before Christmas Complimenting His Work. Sorry For The Long Thread.

i paid way too much for a friend to finish up my body work and paint. he gave me an estimate, gave me an hourly rate, kept a log book of hours. being i did a lot of body work to the car i know what is involved. how long this **** takes. i saw a few weeks into it that his estimate for hours was going to run over, i told him we eneded to talk about it and he said dont sweat it, the price is the price. he did rush it a bit, but the longer the job took ,the less he made on it. 2800, you can complain. 3800, well its starting to get up there but still dont expect much. as for not being bale to open your hood at shows? i never heard that one. if yu feel there is something worth showing off under it, then pop it. if you are going to drive it, dont sweat it, its going ot get dings and chips. live and learn, in 5 years block it out fix the areas you dont like and have some one reshoot it. if the guy is forced into doing more work to your car for free, how do you think its going to come out? next car i paint, im either doing it myself, or ill do the body work and send it to macco. to me shows arent all that fun though.

Well maybe I am a little pickey but he said I will get it stright.Yes I took pics of what he did and look like right on track untill paint was on it.he did use a guide coat I saw that.Again outhers got my last cars very stright even painted in doors under hood.It was knot 6 weeks more like 8 weeks.here are 2 pics for now cant post more because there is overspray on it and its dirty that is how I got it back.As far as fixing the dent at his cost ya he missed it and why he would let it go with dust in the paint no clue.

100_1852.jpg

100_1848.jpg

100_1849.jpg

wow thats messed up but i think that should had been addressed before you took the car back i still would like to see the whole car some people can say alot of things can happen to it in between then and now
goodluck on the matter
Terry

Oh joy... more paint issues... this seems to be such a common occurence in restorations. If ya cant do it yourself..well.. then your at the mercy of what someone else can do... or say they can do. I got totally burned on mine... lucky it was caught before painted... but at least it was caught. The 2nd shop did a top notch job cleaning up the mess and laying some nice paint.

Here is how I see it. After the pic I do see a nice uneven body panel. HOWEVER... there is alot of heresay and who know type stuff that wont get relayed here. I think that letting it escalate to a higher level isnt helping a thing on the site. Maybe take the conversation to private messages. I would hate to start judging someones work without the absolute knowledge of what was supposed to be done. Here is what I do know. If you have NOTHING in writing and signed as to how "Straight" and what was to be done on the car you have nothing and I mean nothing to stand on. I lost $4000.00 bucks in a situation like that for body work. One persons "straight" might be anothers persons "showcar finish". Its all heresay. Good luck to both sides...try to see each others point of views and not let it get too nasty.

-RPM

Pressure buckle in the quarter panel?Car been sitting on jacks for a while?That would be awfully hard to miss if its been guide coated and blocked.I get a bow in mine after ive been out cranking on it hard and have seen it when its been on jack stands,really notice it if its not supported by the chassis,but on the frame.Just thought i would throw that in for consideration.That a pillar not looking really good is it.

Not to pick sides here but I was quoted $10K to get mine done, that was rolling in a bare shell.

The car has NO rust issues or panels to replace, some minor dings, it's basically a sand and re-paint, and yes I got quoted for a near perfect job.

But see for yourself what he would have to start with, those pics were taken last spring.

http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/340butterduster/

Feel free to browse, as there's some under hood and trunk shots.
Do you think there's $10k worth of work there (bare shell).
That in my opinion is the price you have to pay today, to have the job done right (near perfect).

He could've quoted me alot less, $3K'ish, but that woul've been a standard sand and budget paint job.

Hourly rates and cost of mat'l, adds up rather quickly.

I'm not sure if I put a level to my factory (undented door) if I wouldn't see a run. I'd have to check.

That paint does look really nice! Maybe not perfect in the drip rail...

Again I'm not picking sides, and I don't know what you paid. I'm just letting you know what I was quoted, to do a great job.

All the best!
Giles

Finding a compentent body man that takes pride in his work is very difficult. The guy that does mine is not cheap but he is honest and takes great pride in his work. You will should always get what you pay for, just make sure you both agree on what that is BEFORE he starts the work..

Stuff like this is why my Dart is not painted yet. I don't trust any one to do it right and I never painted a car so I got a catch 22 on my hands.

i wouldn't have even have talked to you for 2800.00. you are showing pics of outside seamsealer and a straight edge on the paint. not cool. heck i bet that there is 600.00(in labor) in just removing the seam sealer out of the drip rail. not to mention the rust that IS under it to fix. it looks to me, in my expert opinion, that you got a 4 or 5 grand job for 2800.00. as it is. if it was so important to get the thing concour correct. you would have budgeted 8 to 10 grand just for the body. it is not my business to tell you anything or judge you but, i would probably have sent you packing. heck the materials and the electic to do this job ate up half of what you paid.this guy did you a favor. if you went to a junkyard and bought a 300.00 car and spent the 8200.00 on the resto, you would really have been better off. it sounds to me like you got the better end of this deal anyway. i'm just kind of curious as to why you are even putting this up for debate. i'm all for hookin a good dude up, and helping out, i've done cars pro-bono, and felt good about it, just to help out a bro'. but if i did this job for you, and you did this to me i'd probably have to pay you a visit on my time. i've never seen a job that didn't have an imperfection somewhere. even at 10,000.00. if you think that you can get barrett jackson quality for 2800.00 you are nuts. that is all. good bye. postcar.

LOL sorry maybe some of you should pay a visit see for yourself.I have had good results befor from outhers for 4 grand canadian not U.S. dollars.i figured I was doing someone a favor giving them a job.next time do what you say.I see it he made 58 dollars a hour.

i wouldn't have even have talked to you for 2800.00. you are showing pics of outside seamsealer and a straight edge on the paint. not cool. heck i bet that there is 600.00(in labor) in just removing the seam sealer out of the drip rail. not to mention the rust that IS under it to fix. it looks to me, in my expert opinion, that you got a 4 or 5 grand job for 2800.00. as it is. if it was so important to get the thing concour correct. you would have budgeted 8 to 10 grand just for the body. it is not my business to tell you anything or judge you but, i would probably have sent you packing. heck the materials and the electic to do this job ate up half of what you paid.this guy did you a favor. if you went to a junkyard and bought a 300.00 car and spent the 8200.00 on the resto, you would really have been better off. it sounds to me like you got the better end of this deal anyway. i'm just kind of curious as to why you are even putting this up for debate. i'm all for hookin a good dude up, and helping out, i've done cars pro-bono, and felt good about it, just to help out a bro'. but if i did this job for you, and you did this to me i'd probably have to pay you a visit on my time. i've never seen a job that didn't have an imperfection somewhere. even at 10,000.00. if you think that you can get barrett jackson quality for 2800.00 you are nuts. that is all. good bye. postcar.

You Used The Right Words. Guess Anger Stood In The Road. Don Please Listen Carefully. I Paid My Brother 1800 Bucks For Labor Only. I Purchased All Supplies And Striped The Car Myself. This Does Not Include The Paint. Which I Purchased Also And Paid Steve To Spray The Inside And Trunk And Engine Bay. I Also Sand Blasted The Engine Bay Myself. I Think I Had Receipts For 1500 Bucks For Supplies Not Including The Paint Where It Was The Same Place You Had It Painted. 1100 To Get A Car Painted Plus Have The Bumble Bee Strip Painted On Was Another Great Deal. You Would Not Have Been Give That Deal If You Walked In Off The Street. Bob Sends Alot Of Paint Jobs To His Full Time Shop. They Always Cuts Him A Deal. Please Take More Pics Of The Whole Car And Then Show What Kind Of Job You Received. I Think This Should Do It. I Am Not Trying To Get Everybody On My Side But To Post Something Like This When You Know That I Will Read It, Well I Just Not Sure What You Were Thinking. Please Do Not Take Sides. Just Have To Back Up My Brother When He's Getting Raked Over The Coals And Can't Defend Himself On Here. Next Topic Please.

LOL sorry maybe some of you should pay a visit see for yourself.I have had good results befor from outhers for 4 grand canadian not U.S. dollars.i figured I was doing someone a favor giving them a job.next time do what you say.I see it he made 58 dollars a hour.

Don There Was Over A hundred Hours Into This Body Job. This Puts It At 28.00 Dollars Per Hour Then Supplies Comes Off Of That. I'll Bet You He Didn't Make $1000.00 On This Job.

well you never said what you just said when I was picking a shop you said have a look at my car and decide fot yourself so i did.whats your thoughts about giving it back with dust in what he just repaired and overspray all over the car.Thats bad workmenship.Were I work you get quality work and always 100 percent no matter the cost.

I,d like to see pics. of the whole car!From your avatar and previous posts the car looks good knowing now what it cost to paint it.Your car is 40 years old and you would have to get it dipped$$$$ and start from bare to get out imperfections(sealer and bondo)Cla$$ic cars means dollar$,wether it be bodywork or mechanical?Snake did you just pull the cover off?This is the first time I,ve heard complaints about the paint/bodywork?

The car was strip to bare metal.Remember pictures are not all there crack up to be you have to see it in person.around here a paint job makes or brakes a sale.

The car was strip to bare metal.Remember pictures are not all there crack up to be you have to see it in person.around here a paint job makes or brakes a sale.
Around here?I would rather buy a solid car with no paint,than a car full of bondo with a really nice paint job to hide it all!That,s just me though,and Iknow what your saying,but you should have went over the WHOLE car before accepting it.Personally I think you got a deal and should have contacted the worker privately instead of saying WORST PAINT JOB EVER! publicly!Is it your intention to piss people off??

No matter the cost this Guy should have stood by his work Period.Dust in paint,overspray every where,missed dents unacceptable no matter the cost $1,500.00 or $15,000.00. Jim

[ A Friend Of Mine Has $10000 In Body Work Alone. Not Even Blocked

Are you fricken kidding me ?

Where did he get the car,the gun range ?

Did this Guy agree to stand by his work for a year?Yes I believe so
Did the body guy come up with the figure to charge?Yes I believe so
Did the body Guy say well I am only charging you $3000.00 so I am only going to do a half *** job?Probably not.
Yes you get what you pay for but this Guy should stand by his work.
Jim

Snake,
For $3800 bucks, you got a bargain, period. I don't think this forum is the place to ***** about another members brother,suggest you take it off line and settle the matter.

I completely agree with 69383GTS on this one and I'm going to jump into this post, for some reason.

As I see it the paint job and body work are probably worth what you paid or even more. This really has nothing to do with the situation.

What matters is what quality of work was agreed to as compared to the quality of work done. That isn't clear at all, at least so far. If the shop said I'm going to give you work comporable to a $3800 job then that's what it is. If they said we'll make the car straight and give you a clean paint job then they didn't follow through. I dont think any paint job should have dust in it, other than the ones I've done in my driveway.

In my opinion the shop should make it clear what quality you are getting before the beginning of the process and then make sure that happens. If I go to a shop and ask for a paint job and body work and they quote me a price I expect them to do the work for the price and not half the work for the price. If they are up front and let me me know that the quality will suffer at that price then that's fine, but let the customer know.

I would rather pay 7 grand for a quality job than 4 grand for one that is less than acceptable. There's no reason in doing something twice. And how are you to know what type of job you are going to get if the body shop isn't honest up front? If they can't do something right, let it be known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back