Worst body job ever

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this entire thread feeling a little for both parties, then left it and found myself thinking about it too much so I have to jump in here aswell. #1 I thought the purpose of this entire forum was to share helpful information towards the use and restorations of these cars we all seem to care so much about, not smear another members family. I gotta believe by titleing the thread "worst ever" you were hoping for some member support in searching how to handle the unsatisfied feelings for the job. The reality is it sounds like the shop did want to make things right with the reworked body panel and any reshoot is never as good as original shoot for color match ect. You say that other shops have done better for less, .... than why did you switch to someone else!? And if around here paint is everything than wouldn't you want to spend a little more and get a little more! This whole thing sounds like a breakdown in communication as to what the customer wanted versus what they got. Upstate, you put the responsibility on the shop and I disagree. It is up to the customer to be clear with the shop what they are wanting, hence the differences in price per jobs. Customer says to me; I haven't got much money or I can't afford or do the best you can for $4000.00 versus I want concourse show winning .... What will it cost?.... alot more than $4000.00. If all that was discussed , different story. It seems snake is an experienced car guy and some quick math, you would know about what your getting and maybe should have had some reservations, especially if paint is everything. No this isn't the place for this conversation , snake opens the thread with threats to sue. If I were the shop owner I'd send back the money and then sue for public slander. I hope both parties can step back and take care of each others needs and we can get back to cars!

I just got a quote of $15.000.00 for my car done on a rottisoire and thats with me removing drivetrain and interior. No rust other than a few bubbles under vinyl top. I was told a stright paint job with top line materials is between 5 to 7 grand. Just my 2 cents worth.

Ya know, I just cannot believe that this thread is still going. I' made my decision on this whole deal a few days ago. You get what you pay for. To accept the work that was done and then bring it up this much later is just stupid. This issue should have been brought up right away with the guy who did the work. You were obviously happy with it or you would not have brought it home. And to bring it up this much later after the fact, and totally dog on this guy that actually did you a favor is uncool. I went and looked at your pictures in your gallery, you got a damn good job for $4,000 in my opinion. Of course, this is just my opinion. You should have NEVER brought this up now. I trully hope that you have learned something on this whole deal. And you paid way too much for the car to begin with in my opinion. But these are my opinions. I felt for you at first. Then I had to do a little investigating. And plus you didn't even post any pictures for a while. And the ones you did post just dont work to your advantage. These are my opinions.

I was not happy I was just trying to keep the pease with him all winter so in the spring he would take it back no questions ask,well he was pissed to have to redo that quarter he said I should not have to redo it.Even tho he singh a receipt all work GUARANTEE 1 Year.6 mounths later its bubbleing along the top of my fender.Said he would fix it never did.When he called the outher night and said thats it I am not doing anything else.So I get it back over spray and dust in the paint.sorry to complane but we are not rich people here.

Absolutely no excuse to have left the seam sealer looking that bad. I would have a talk with them and let them know that you will be showing the car and ask if they really want that kind of work associated with their business name.

It might motivate them to fix some of the bad spots.

Now I know why he wanted to be paid for his body work befor he sent it out to be painted.i am knot a pro body guy.

You paid him for 56 hours of labor...it's not enough time to do what YOU expected...It's unrealistic to expect under hood/door jams/trunk/straighten body panels and align.
I'm sure you got other estimates and they all started at around $5000.(for body)
There's probably $500 to $1000 worth of materials just in the body prep/seal work and no paint IMHO
That quarter never saw a long board so I can see/have seen that before.
I see your problem all the time guys bring their $2500-4500 paint jobs to me after the fact to get my opinion on the finished product.
Every time I ask about the before condition it was alway minimal problems in the complaining customers eyes and 9/10 after seeing the before pictures the problems were always substantial.
I feel bad for you but from what I see on a day to day basis 80% of the $2000-$4000 paint jobs that I've been asked to look at all have what your going through in common.

Sorry for your misfortune

So I guess if you had a new roof put on your home and the roofer charged you $3800.00.Then the roof started leaking,one side of the house the shingles were not straight at all,and the shingles started coming off.I guess you got a good deal because you only paid $3800.00 for the roof job.Or should the roofer stand by his work no matter what he charged?
Jim

Well if the going rate for a roof was $12000 to $15000 I sure as heck wouldn't put a $4000 roof on my house and expect the same quality roof now would I...

Rob

This thread is a good incentive to start learning some restoration skills. I'd much rather blame myself, try again, and chalk it up to another learning experience than go through months of frustration like this.

I Hope This Does Not Take Over For Longest Post Taking Over The Mopar Girls Post. What, Still No Pics. Sorry Guys I Did Not Intend For This To Be So Long. But I Was Defending Some Honor Here. Lets Say We End It Now. And As For Caps On Every Word It Started Out As A Joke At Work And Can't Seem To Friggen Stop. I Said My Piece And I'll Be The Bigger Man And End It Now. Thanks Guys For All Your Input Good And Bad. Know Lets Start Getting These Cars Out And Drive The Dam Things. :clock: A Wasting.

I thought it wasn't long ago there was a post of the car on a trailer just coming back from the body shop looking all shiny and straight and the owner was happy???

I like the roof analogy.

Rob, If the going rate for a roof is higher than what you're quoted, but the quote comes with a guarantee that it wont leak should you just accept the leak after 6 months?

I still don't see why price of the job has anything to do with quality unless the agreement was "do what you can for $3800".

Pics Please/ But The Quote Was For A Good Driver Not A Rotisserie Job. Don You Painted The Bottom Of The Car With Rattle Cans. That's The First Thing My Brother Commented On. So Lets End It Now. Please Please Please. Guaranty Work For Something Like This In My Opinion Is For Bubbling Or Rust Coming Threw But Not How Straight The Body Was Done. Nobody Seen This Car With The Two Gallons Of Fill My Brother Took Out Of The Quarters. Then Had Too Jack Them Out And Got Them The Best He Could For The Price That Was Quoted.

somebody guaranteed a job on my car and wouldnt honor it i,d pay them a visit and i,d be packing.nobody in their right mind should charge less to do a crappy job.thats like going to the 5 dollar barber and accepting a big bald spot as ok

I give up.All I am trying to point out is no matter what you charge someone to do any kind of work you should stand by your work.I guess I am different than some I take pride in what I do.If I charge you to do something I will stand behind my work.
Jim

Not To Get Involved But Snake You Asked For A Good Driver. The Price You Paid Reflects The Job You Get. Yes He Missed The Dent. He Fixed It For You His Dime Not Yours. I Have Way More In My Body Job Than My Brother Charged You For Yours. And I Did Half The Work. This Took Two Years For Mine Not 6 Weeks. It Looked Real Good When I Was There At The Shop On Sunday. Don't Forget That Was Not A Restoration Job But A Good Driver. Not Trying To Stir Anything Up But He Is Family. Plus Mine Was In Far Better Shape. All You Need To Do Is A Sand And Buff. Mine Is Getting Done This Year As Well.
Out of line, here.

It time for the children to go to their rooms until they can stop fighting. Sorry to be blunt but ya get what you pay for and $3800 for body and paint is bargain basement territory, don't expect perfection or even close to it!!!

Not passing judgement, just adding my story. I have a #s matching 68 Formula S 383 4spd convertable. My friends say I have the welding skills to do this car myself. Frankly, I'm afraid of screwing up a very rare car and having to pay twice as mush to fix what I screwed up. I've had a half dozen body guys look at it. Some wanted to flange weld in the panels, some wanted to lap weld them, I want all but welds. Most said the couldn't give me an estamate because they wouldn't know what was there untill the got into it. There is not one bolt left on the car and the body has been media blasted inside and out. What's not to see? I had prices as low as 3K for body and paint. The last guy that looked at was recomended by a friend at BBD. He took a pad and went around the car inch by inch, 1.5 hr for this, 2.2 hr for that. All but welds, all seems leaded, primed $8500 plus any parts, plus paint prep, plus paint. I know exactly what I'm getting and what it's costing me, Joe.

if you walk into a shop and pay full rate with a detailed contract of exactly what is going to be done, then yes they should stand by it. once you start to haggle, it pretty much all goes out the window. you have a guy sneak it in on his lunch hour. forget it. some guy does it in his garage, you get what you get. pay top dollar expect top of the line work. pay anything less, expect less, if you get better than expected, its a bonus. shops here have signs hanging up 90+ per hour.

OK, I realy dont know what happened, but this is exactly why I dont do a "scuff and shoot", when its not show quality,they complain, but the customer forgets to tell they didnt pay for top dollar, I learned the hard way from a 55 chevy I did for a "friend" years ago You can only expect what you pay for.

No matter the cost this Guy should have stood by his work Period.Dust in paint,overspray every where,missed dents unacceptable no matter the cost $1,500.00 or $15,000.00. Jim

This is the truth-period.People can piss and moan and say whatever you want about the price he paid but when a body and paint guy takes on a job and an agreement is made then it doesnt matter how much money is paid,its a contract that should be fullfilled.I wouldnt want to do buisness with anyone who has the nerve to tell a person they cant complain because they paid less for a job,the onus is on the provider to make the customer understands the level of job they are getting period,and if they dont then they are taking advantage,afterall they are the professional.With that mentality I guess its o.k. to skimp on machine work because you charged less,or sell a misrepresented part because you charged less.I have no idea what went down with the deal and Im not taking sides,but the price of the job has nothing to do with making good on agreement to do a job right.It seemed all the flaws became acceptable as soon as the price was mentioned without regard to what was agreed upon.

Seems body shops are the same the world over (or at least between Canada, US and Australia). Seems that there is not one way to repair dents and paint a car - ie. properly - but depending on varyng grades of competency whereby you apparently have to pay more than the quote to get a correct and proper job. Fortunately I was able to hold my body shop to a proper standard of work and ended up with a great result for a very reasonable price.

I went through 3 different panel shops in Australia and I settled with the one that sydcuda used. 5K later Car is Painted, Straight Enough for Me and....Looks Good!

First two shops quoted me Under 4K and the Body work was Crap. There are Good People then there are the Cheap and Nastys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back