Worth of a 8-3/4 Rear

-

Drg racr

Reaction score
Anyone know what the going rate is for a good 8-3/4 rear housing is? I want to sell a few locally but don't know what to ask. They are good housings, with axles, one for the A body, one for the B body, no center section. A little greasy but otherwise in good shape.
I do have a center section, 489 case, cone type Sure Grip, 3.23 gear, blasted and painted.
Thanks for the advice. For the mods, I'm not trying to sell anything here, just asking.

Hello Drg racr, from being around the same area I've seen a lot of price ranges. The normal price for the housing and axles is $200-300 and for the center section that clean I've seen them go for $400.

Not sure if those are the best prices, just what I've seen around.
Good luck!

Ide gladly give you 100 for the center with 323s. just to help you out.

Top retail on the 489 sure grip center section cleaned and painted is $500-600. I've seen three on CL today for that. A body housings with axles (dirty) retail for $325-$450. B body (dirty) with axles $150-250. These prices are on the high side. You have to wait to get that much. If you ask less, it is a better deal for the buyer and they will obviously sell more quickly. Hope this helps!

Agree with Greg, but will add that chunks usually go on a sliding scale according to gear, the lower, the more expensive.

3.23- $300-$350
3.55- $350-$400
3.91- $400-$450

I personally pay a bit more for clutch type SG, but lots of folks don't seem to care.

I know everyone else thinks the 489 chunk is so much better, but I don't care, and don't let that affect my valuation formula too much.

I've seen backing plates go for anywhere between $15 and $50, whether or not the have all the springs and such. I don't think it affects the price of the axle housing that much, but IMO, it sure makes an easier sale if there' still on and loaded.

-
Back