Would a hood scoop help my problem?

-
Unless a radiator hose breaks or a bad oil spray that covers your windshield...that could cause issues
I must be on my third Hood by now this must be a very old post! LOL well if a hose Bush or an oil spray at least you'll know it right away when it hits your windshield and can get off the track...

The only way a hood scoop hurts is if you don't attach it properly

FWIW, throughout the day, underhood air will be more consistent than outside air! I know a good racer who had a beautiful '68 Cuda big block tribute car. He blocked the scoop with plexiglass because it was more consistent that way.

I have another friend who had a '65 Satellite with a '65 style scoop that ran off from time to time. The problem was turbulence within the scoop. He opened up a couple of small vents in the foam and the problem went away.

It helps if you figure out the optimum jetting for what scoop/no scoop set-up you will run. There was at least 1, maybe 2 jet numbers difference in optimum jetting between running with a K&N Stub Stack and without on my bracket Challenger. The Stub Stack was leaning out the A/F ratio by that much! Fresh air or without, and scoop configuration can also have an affect on jetting......then you have weather/seasonal changes!

I had a heads-up run in my IHRA Dart Sport at one race. Running a 14"x3" K&N air filter, I figured I'd pick up by removing the filter and just leaving the base to smooth airflow. With the changes I made and removing a little extra weight, I should have picked up a noticeable amount, but I didn't! Even with a good filter, my jetting was optimized with the filter and I leaned out a bit without it. I would have been faster leaving the filter on. Luckily I still won.

-
Back