would you use a block with epoxy?

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
would/has anyone in here ever used a block with a tiny bit of epoxy in the lifter valley? this block was race prepped, completely ready to go with oiling mods, stroker clearance, clearance for solid rollers, bored, honed, align bored,decked, so on and so forth equating to almost $900. long story short, my father..who should have never touched it...decided to go at the lifter valley for just a weee bit more clearance on the lifters (when i was not around), and took the worst angle possible. he slivered a small crack where you can barely even see daylight. i patched it up with some super epoxy (aqua tech or something like that)...but i don't know if this little 1/16 x .25 sliver is enough to scrap the block over. i don't know if i can consciously use this block on anything other than a street engine. i'm told welding it up is grounds for a rebore another .010 over and re decking, and epoxy is the best way to go.

opinions? would you use it? what would you do? thanks guys.

i used epoxy on a set of ported 308 heads broke through in the intake port that was 14 years ago and still running i know a block is a diff animal but someone here should know for sure good luck

if it works it works, but I'd never trust the block as much as I would if it wasn't the case. I'd think that if it was a very low stress or no stress area it wouldn't be a problem. Just make sure that you clean the area very well and make sure that epoxy is mixed properly, wouldn't want it to come off while the engine's running.

clean the area with muratic acid on a small brush dab it dry them wire wheel it then the epoxy will stick like madd

clean the area with muratic acid on a small brush dab it dry them wire wheel it then the epoxy will stick like madd
I like this plan.......then maybe a sealer on the inside.
Moroso ceramic seal works pretty well.
I think it should be O.K. as long as the area is well prepped.

When I worked at the marinia it was common pactice on customers with the mercruiser 140hp 4 cylinder when they would attempt their own winterization. We would take a dremel and make groove, acid etch and fill with epoxy. Most time this was perment fix with out pulling the engine. Its worth a shot to get you through the summer. Then pull the engine and get it welded. JMO

yeah i already epoxied it so hopefully it will last. i already have another block ready to go so i'm using that one, this ones going on the back burner for a street engine, or i might even sell it (and be 100% honest about the epoxy of course) for a few hundred bucks. we'll see i guess.

I fixed a 454 BBC that had a crack in the cylinder wall with JB weld, I drove it for 5 years and it was running fine when i sold it. Also fixed a frozen busted tractor block with it. I would trust it, If it were fixed with JB weld... I havent ever heard of that aqua tech stuff.

Might be a good idea to take it to your machinist and have it pressure tested. Since it went to water, there is going to be at least 16-20lbs of pressure on it.

I think JB weld is good up to 4200 PSI or something like that.

-
Back