WTB 68-71 340 forged crankshaft

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trucks had forged 318 cranks until 71.

i have a cast crank I can pull out of a 318 Have to check the year. But its yours for 50.00 and the shipping if you can"t find one up there. Best of luck

Keni

My brother had one for sale at the swap meet, pretty sure it was a '69, but I think it was 10/20. I can ask him if he still has it if you want.

An old mopar racer at the now defunct Los Angeles County Raceway in Palmdale Ca told me that the ploy 318 (or wideblock 318 as some call it) were the best choice for the 340. It would have to be 62-66 as earlier ones had slightly different converter mounting flanges. I agree with all others that LA318 cranks are also forged up to the mid/late seventies anyway, and are a direct replacement that very affordable and easy to find.

My brother had one for sale at the swap meet, pretty sure it was a '69, but I think it was 10/20. I can ask him if he still has it if you want.
Id be intrested in a price and shipping cost to 04263. Is it a fresh .010/.020 or something that needs cleaning up and will end up being .020/.030

I was told a 273 crank can be used as well. Assembly will be gettig balanced anyways

273 or 318 fordged cranks will work, but should be reballanced. recriprocating mass is different.

I apologize, I didn't get back to this until today. I am going to assume that you bought one already, correct?

I apologize, I didn't get back to this until today. I am going to assume that you bought one already, correct?
Still looking. More than 1 wouldnt hurt. I have 8 blocks to put together. Some will be stroked.

I have a buddy w a machine shop. Usualy costs me $100 as long as no weight is needed.

My machine shop tells me there are some differences between the 318 cranks and the 340 not just the early ones for the converter size and he can tell the difference just by looking at them. He also states you should use a 340 crank with a 340 for balancing purposes and i believe he also stated other reasons but its been years ago. I have one for sure and maybe two 340 ones i am going to sell. They have already been maged and size checked and tagged i just have to dig up the paper work on them. PM me for more info
Thanks

FYI Early 273's and probably the poly 318's do have a smaller converter snout register. If '66 is the last year for the smaller register, it would probably include all poly 318's. Otherwise, "regular" 318 cranks can be rebalanced.

The forged 318 truck cranks had solid rod journals.

Cast cranks tend to be lighter than their forged counterparts which can help in some racing applications. 340's had cast cranks in later '72 and '73 engines. But adding weight to compensate for heavier 340 pistons does take away the lighter advantage and cost a lot, unless you end up using lighter aftermarket 340 roda & pistons. While still strong, cast is naturally weaker than forged as well.

i have a 71 340 crank standard . i would take $ 100.00 +shipping. but i live in illinois shipping would be costly i think

I have one out of a 71 motor that was standard bore so im guessing the journals are as well. $100 plus shipping.

i have a NOS steel crank in the old brown box. cosmolined.
$300.00
western,mass

FYI Early 273's and probably the poly 318's do have a smaller converter snout register. If '66 is the last year for the smaller register, it would probably include all poly 318's. Otherwise, "regular" 318 cranks can be rebalanced.

The forged 318 truck cranks had solid rod journals.

Cast cranks tend to be lighter than their forged counterparts which can help in some racing applications. 340's had cast cranks in later '72 and '73 engines. But adding weight to compensate for heavier 340 pistons does take away the lighter advantage and cost a lot, unless you end up using lighter aftermarket 340 roda & pistons. While still strong, cast is naturally weaker than forged as well.
i have a nice std/std low low mileage 72 cast crank that i was thinking about adding some lightened 340 rods and descent cast pistons to before balancing and seeing what she will do. Im told the lighter rotating mass will rev up quicker. Just not sure what kind of HP and RPMs the cast will withstand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back