[SOLD] WTB small block carb ASAP

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edelbrock 1405 or 1406 would be fine right??

1405 is OK...its still 600cfm 1404 would be better - 500cfm...1406 is 625...max size...you don't want to drown the poor thing!...:thumleft:

Are you using a stock, cast intake?

Keep an eye out for a stock AFB...for '67 auto, that would be a #4295.

1405 is OK...its still 600cfm 1404 would be better - 500cfm...1406 is 625...max size...you don't want to drown the poor thing!...:thumleft:

Are you using a stock, cast intake?

Keep an eye out for a stock AFB...for '67 auto, that would be a #4295.

the difference I believe between 1405 and 1406 is 05 manual choke, 06 elec choke. Edelbrock rates the 06 as 600 cfm. Yes we are going stock 4 bbl intake....for now

Thanks
Steve

Hey Sd, 65val is trying to help me out here...I am not a carb guy by any means and I will accept all advice, but whether 65val is right or wrong, cut him some slack....holy....what I need is a bolt on fire up carb for a cam break in! We have never heard this engine run and dont know if the Carter 9626SA is going to give us problems...the last thing we need is to fiddle with a carb while breaking in a cam. I dont want to tune it....

Hi, in order to break in dads new cam we need a new or at the very least a good proven running carb. Engine is a 273 4bbl

Thanks
Steve

Steve, someone that knows what there talking about and that has a carb should be along to help out you and your dad

Every and any carb needs to be tuned. Even if it is for a break in of a cam. Just a rough tune will do for the 30 minutes you take to break in the cam.

I consider the above advice for a 600 max a good call.

Hey Sd, 65val is trying to help me out here...I am not a carb guy by any means and I will accept all advice, but whether 65val is right or wrong, cut him some slack....holy....what I need is a bolt on fire up carb for a cam break in! We have never heard this engine run and dont know if the Carter 9626SA is going to give us problems...the last thing we need is to fiddle with a carb while breaking in a cam. I dont want to tune it....

Steve...9626 is a good carb. I'd go with that, if its a functioning unit.

A nice new vacuum secondary 600 Holley is the best of all worlds, eh? 300 cfm on demand, and 300 when and if the engine asks for it....Just sayin

Your Attitude has no place here , If you truly consider his advice on 600 max a good call then maybe you should leave it at that and go get yourself a tall glass of shut the firetruck up , Steve if none of the Ontario boys steps up I can ship you my Eddy 600 {1406} and get it back from you at Moparfest , but shipping will take a week so lets see if one of the locals has a loaner for you .

This is from left field..you could break that cam in an a 1 barrel...Any carb that can meter up to 340 CFM will be fine, and 340CFM is a 283 at WOT with 4bbl and headers...Thats only 56 CFM per 1000 RPM and you usually hold the motor at 2K for a cam break in and then walk it up and down in the 2500 to 1500 range. So theoretically you could break it in with a 185 CFM Holley 1920. Dont get hung up on the carb, as long as your not watering your eyes, 20-30 minutes will be fine.

Everyone thanks for the offers on the carbs! A lot of great members on here...some with attitude, and then some without attitude. Thanks guys!

So what cam did your dad decide to go with?

So what cam did your dad decide to go with?

We went with the 268S complete kit from Comp cams, did the upgrade to the dbl roller and new valve springs. Cant wait to get it!!:blob: We dropped the car off at the body shop today for engine bay touchups and dropped the engine off to put in new cam bearings as well.

I don't know if they make a one barrel to four barrel adapter:D
Theory is sound though.
I'd sure hate to work with that guy. (I looked for a JAM IT DOWN YOUR THROAT smiley but didn't see one.:banghead:

This is from left field..you could break that cam in an a 1 barrel...Any carb that can meter up to 340 CFM will be fine, and 340CFM is a 283 at WOT with 4bbl and headers...Thats only 56 CFM per 1000 RPM and you usually hold the motor at 2K for a cam break in and then walk it up and down in the 2500 to 1500 range. So theoretically you could break it in with a 185 CFM Holley 1920. Dont get hung up on the carb, as long as your not watering your eyes, 20-30 minutes will be fine.

I was in the same boat recently, so I installed a "known good" new 2 barrel Carter carb on a 4-barrel adapter since I had run it a year before on the factory 2 barrel intake of my 273. I agree with pishta, even the tiniest 1-barrel would give the rpms you want in neutral.

I wasn't so lucky. The carb kept overflowing until I found I had dropped the float needle during my new plumbing. Then my re-wiring and not using the brown ign wire made no spark while cranking (didn't know the ignition switch does that), plus a few other "oops". I ended up running <2000 rpm a lot and too much cranking. Still my new cam seems to have survived fine, probably because I used a lot of assembly lube, have only 130 lb springs, and hydraulic leak-down lifters. I hope better luck with your engine startup.

That should be a nice sounding cam,not radical but alittle lopey.It's got aliitle more lift than the one in my 318 and mine has a nice small lope.

mopar410...what cam do you have?
I bought the 318 with the cam in it so all I could do was get the lift and compare it to the ones available now.its a mopar purple cam with around .450/.450 lift and this one is really close 4452761 268/272, 228/231 @ .050, 450/455 lift, 110 LSA.It is used so it could some wear to it.

I'm not a "band wagon jumper", I am a FABO member and this is a public forum.
AND I try not to be an A-hole about someone's oppinion even if I totally disagree.
I would say "I totally disagree" and let it go without a barrage of insults to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back