WTF new distributor doesn't work?

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
So I got my new Accel distributor & MSD 6AL today. I got the Accel cuz Canadian prices are so high. The MSD was expensive.

Anyways, I put it (distributor) in & cranked and cranked..no start. So I waited (thought I flooded the engine). So finally it started, and was running real good. So I shut the car off and finished tightening it down. No it didn't move from where I had it set..

So I decided a test drive was needed. The f*ckin thing wouldn't start again. I almost killed the battery cranking it. Not feeling like diagnosing a new distributor, I put the old one back in. The car started right away, f*ck sakes!

I was a bit concerned there wasn't an installation manual in the box when I first opened it. I realize its an easy task to swap a distributor, but no instructions? Anybody ever buy one of these, is there supposed to be instructions with it? I think it might have been a return.

Instructions are available on the Accel web page.

Most of the Accel distributors are self contained so they do not need the MSD box. You might want to see if it runs the engine without the MSD.

The MSD box can be picky at times about the trigger. My stock distributor would not trigger the MSD until I had the reluctor gap down to about 0.004".

Thanks for replying. I tried it without the MSD box. I decided to try the distributor on its own (just in case). It's a direct Mopar vaccum advance replacement. That's why I'm baffled. It should have been a direct plugin with a known running configuration. It was sold as new, and thepart # is correct.

I'm saving the MSD as the last step. The manual is great with it. I hope it goes smoothly.

Looking at my post now, I see it wasn't very clear...sorry for the confusion. The MSD will be the next step.

Ah well, I'm just going to send the f*cking thing back since I think it's a repack. If I mess with it they won't honor the warranty.

At least the security seals were intact on the MSD. I can run my rusty old distributor with it in the meantime.

I bought a tachometer just recently and I swear someone has had it out of the box before. It looked good and everything was there but the seal was broke on the box. I bought it new from Summit.
I guess you can get stuff that has been sent back for some reason.

WARNING!
THIS IS A GREEN CUDA ONLY THREAD MUST HAVE GREEN CUDA TO REPLY

Nothing to add, just want to play too. Is this OK, it's two tone but...

cudafish.jpg

are green fish sick and red ones just over the top angry?? if i mellow out will i change color?

Just wanted to give you a heads up if the distriputor has its own modual hook the white wire from the msd to the neg on the distibutor and tie the pos in with the pos that the msd is connected to. Hook up is the same as a points dis. I bought a procomp dis and had the same problem.

Just wanted to give you a heads up if the distriputor has its own modual hook the white wire from the msd to the neg on the distibutor and tie the pos in with the pos that the msd is connected to. Hook up is the same as a points dis. I bought a procomp dis and had the same problem.
Thankyou...and welcome to the forum!

Okay, I hooked up the MSD to the old distributor on the weekend. It works great. It helped a lot on the low end since this 340 is running a 'hot' cam. Pulled the plugs to find nice tan coloured electrodes. It was nice to see that.

I'm still waiting for the replacement distributor though.

-
Back