X head 202 intake valves

-

gtsdude

Reaction score
I have my small block factory X heads apart to set up springs, clean up the bowl area and check them over. Looking at replacing the intake valves, a couple are a little beat up around the lock. My question is what valve has anyone used as a replacement? I have the old TRW V2811X in it now, it specs as .3710 stem, I see some replacements listed as .3725 stem diameter. I know its a small amount larger but don't want to order something that wont fit in the guide. Not a good pic but the one on the right has the grooves wore in half and the lock moves up and down on the valve stem. It is really only one valve that is bad, think it had a weak valve spring on it.

Attachments

• valves.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 286
Nail head valve with a single groove. If you insist on using them triple grooved valves, grind the buttting end of the locks until it bits the valve stem. Then you won't get the slope you are talking about.

If they have worn, like you describe, you need all new locks any way. Why not go with a much better lock.

Yes new locks along with the valves, do you have a part # on the valves? I think I found some, manley 45640-8 or manley 11782-8, second one is a little closer to what I have in length

Anyone use the Mancini racing valves they sell? Either steel or stainless? Seems like a decent price for intake and exhaust valves. Doesn't list specs other than 202 /160 valve for LA engines.

the reason for the two different sizes is the intake valve runs cooler then the exhaust so they give you a .001 extra clearance on the exhaust stem and some exhaust stems have a .0005 taper on them getting smaller near the valve head. they are assuming your 3/8 valve is going into a .375 bore

-
Back