X head chambers?

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Somebody posted a link once regarding the different chamber sizes (in cc's) of the various 318/340/360 head chambers but that was on the old forum and I can't find it now. Anyone have it in their memory bank?

my X heads are 67CC 2.02 1.60 manley SS valves. It's best to cc the ones you have. After 40+ years and valve jobs who knows.

As cast, assembled 340 and 360 heads tend to be in the 68-72cc range, which is bigger than most "blueprint" specs. # of valve jobs, milling over the years and valve design will affect it.

Reason I'm asking;
My '72 1.88 J heads were previously cc'd to 67 cc's. I have an untouched set of early 2.02 X heads I could use for the build if need be; stock X's should put compression in the 10:1 are, the J's will be around 9.75:1 as-is.

I've had 340/360 heads measure from 69-72 cc...

You don't know if there was any machining done to them before you get them, so you have to measure each head to find out...

head 2.jpg
head measure 1.jpg
Once again this site is great !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had 340/360 heads measure from 69-72 cc...

You don't know if there was any machining done to them before you get them, so you have to measure each head to find out...
The J heads were cc'd to 67cc's and had a mild porting job. The X heads are untouched, as-removed with a whole lotta miles on them. I have not measured the X heads.

The J heads were cc'd to 67cc's and had a mild porting job. The X heads are untouched, as-removed with a whole lotta miles on them. I have not measured the X heads.
hi, usually most are about 5 to 6 cc bigger over min volumes. the X head is 63.3 cc, J head is 64.7 cc. these are set by mopar. different style valves will affect volume. nail head valve will make it smaller. it doesn't have the dish of tulip valve.

Also consider: unless you replace the seats, when/if you grind them on the X heads, it will drop the valve farther into the bowl because they're already cut for 2.02 valves. That will increase chamber volume and hurt flow

hi, usually most are about 5 to 6 cc bigger over min volumes. the X head is 63.3 cc, J head is 64.7 cc. these are set by mopar. different style valves will affect volume. nail head valve will make it smaller. it doesn't have the dish of tulip valve.

those are minimum specs per nhra stock class....nothing to do with the real world....CC your heads...if you want to know what they are...

I would CC the heads. That's the only way to get a guaranteed answer. Besides, if you're going to do any work to them, you will then have to mill the head to bring the compression back up anyways. So you'll want to CC them anyways.

I would CC the heads. That's the only way to get a guaranteed answer. Besides, if you're going to do any work to them, you will then have to mill the head to bring the compression back up anyways. So you'll want to CC them anyways.
The 1.88 J heads were cc'd twice; first time when the engine was built years ago; they were all matched at 67cc's.
The 2.02 X heads have never been cc'd or touched. Just trying to figure out which heads to use on the new build.

-
Back