Yall Seen This Yet?

-
Could you do it all yourself for less money? I'm not sure you could. The only advantage I see is that rather than biting off the whole chunk at once, you could pay as you go.
i think maybe if you were judicious in spending and not in a hurry so you could score some deals that it's possible you could bring it in under this. but to your point, a one and done and pay it off over a year, year and a half is pretty attractive-- i'd actually flop a big chunk on a card for points/cash back and then figure on sucking it up and paying 3~5 a month on it to get square.

anyway, my back of the bar room napkin math goes like this:
trans: 300 (junkyard)
converter: 600 (for something decent)
rebuild kit: 300 (general decent kit
shift kit: 150 (trans go 2 from summit)
a-dapt-or plate: 850 (let's keep it little birdie prices even though we know there's the wilcap piece)
trans cross member: 400 (us car tool)
standalone controller: 1300 (it appears they use the HGM unit)
add in some incidentals: 500
throw some tax on that: 440
standard line item "oh **** i forgot about that": 160

rounds out nicely to a smooth 5K
now add 10% budget overage, and you're at 5500

granted there are places to save some money, places to spend more and there's always a stroke of luck-- finding a rebuild trans on the cheap or somebody unloading lightly used torque converter, but the big chonky numbers-- adapter and standalone controller are still a big part of the bill.

so even if you went with a cheaper controller, built your own x-member, scored some hardware on the cheap and did a few midnight motors cash deals, you might be able to bring this in around 4K; and to me, that sounds like a long and arduous journey for not a massive savings.

It's weird too....when I do a search on "A41 transmission" I get results that say it's a 4L60E derivative and that it's a Keisler transmission.

I think "A41" is a reference to SST's complete kit. Unlike a T56 Magnum or TKX, they don't list the automatic nor the bellhousing they sell to bolt the GM trans to a Mopar separately.

The 4L60E has a removable bellhousing unlike the 200R4 which has to have it cut off and then an aftermarket bell bolted to an adapter plate using the pump bolts, I think.

Can you buy an aftermarket bellhousing to bolt a 4L60/65 to a Mopar anywhere else? Not an adapter to bolt the GM bell to a Mopar, but a bellhousing that will connect the 2?

It's weird too....when I do a search on "A41 transmission" I get results that say it's a 4L60E derivative and that it's a Keisler transmission.
Makes sense, since SST is basically Kiesler after they went under and got bought out. When I do a search for A41, I also come up with Toyota A41 automatic trannys... knew it couldn't be that!

Well sure enough, you can buy a 4L60 to Mopar bellhousing - $1050. At least it is SFI approved.

Looks to need a special flexplate, too? Add another $230.

Wonder what a 450 ft/# capable 4L60E would cost? Looks like B&M sells one for $3000

That leaves $1320 to cover tax and shipping on those parts, plus a torque converter, crossmember and controller and miscellaneous.

Well sure enough, you can buy a 4L60 to Mopar bellhousing - $1050. At least it is SFI approved.

Looks to need a special flexplate, too? Add another $230.

Wonder what a 450 ft/# capable 4L60E would cost? Looks like B&M sells one for $3000

That leaves $1320 to cover tax and shipping on those parts, plus a torque converter, crossmember and controller and miscellaneous.
yeah, my quick search turned up about the same $ amount on spec built transmissions

good to know on the bell. i thought maybe something was available, but didn't check.

that last 1320 goes quick... figure half of that on shipping and tax, easy.

good to know on the bell. i thought maybe something was available, but didn't check.

I was shocked that something existed.

That fact that there is a bellhousing makes it seem like a "build your own" deal might be possible. I think the price of the SST kit will be hard to beat but if someone was willing to go with a lesser capacity transmission (or a JY one), it might be workable. But if the trans sourced to save money is a temporary one, the final cost will almost certainly blow past the SST kit price.

that last 1320 goes quick... figure half of that on shipping and tax, easy.

That controller you priced looks to take all of what is left. And still no tax or shipping on anything yet, nor the other parts needed like a TC.

It does look like Monster sells a 4L60E with similar power ratings, but for $1800 if you don't have a core to exchange.

I can’t afford to drop $6k in one swoop, but over a few year span it’s a possibility.
They are offering finance terms with the package....obviously I am not eligible for that being outside of USA....but you guys can pounce on it....

From my email quote;

We have new financing options available. Ask me about them!

Payment options are offered by Affirm, are subject to an eligibility check, and may not be available in all states. Options depend on your purchase amount, and a down payment may be required. California residents: Affirm Loan Services, LLC is licensed by the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation. Loans are made or arranged pursuant to California Financing Law license 60DBO-111681.

Now if they'll just offer modified slant 6 bellhousings. lol

Who doesn't want to cut ? I guess I found you all lol

30% less drag sold me, so it takes 20 less hp to run this trans ? So my , ah..ah.. say 200 hp 318 that has 160 at the rear tires will now have say near 180 to the rear tires ?
I've asked here as well as a couple of other forums over the years for info on how much power our conventional automatic trans choices for mopar applications cost to run, and the answers I've received are vague at best. So someone does know that info? It would be nice to actually see something posted on that note.
I'm on the fence at the moment about what trans to swap into my current project (or whether to leave the 727 alone as it works fine, just needs the shift shaft seal changed)
especially as how I'm dealing with the/6 for this one, (that's staying), I have everything in hand needed to swap in an 833od, and will soon have everything I'm gonna need to do an a500.
I'm lacking 1 component to allow that to happen, but know where one is available ( that being a /6 to sb adapter as Mopar used in the early to mid 60s..... Just need the cash to go get it

one of the key considerations (beside$$$) is what driveshaft angle will you end up with!

one of the key considerations (beside$$$) is what driveshaft angle will you end up with!
Unchanged if you know how. It's very easy to keep the transmission at the same angle, since you'll have to fab a cross member anyway.

-
Back