"You Mopar guys" The Mark Worman effect?

-
Once again I have to say, you have to sift through the “drama” aspect of any show on TV, and glean what little useful information you can. I watch this show because I have a B body that may have some correlated coverage from a car they’re doing. I don’t expect any other help from this show aside from what I can glean from them doing on a similar car despite what antics they include. I have my own plan for this car, and it doesn’t include a full blown restoration, ever. However, seeing things in the background may help me decipher something I’m addressing, or if they happen to dwell on another area that I might need to address, I’ll pay more attention to the storyline. The guy I got my car from actually contacted GYC about doing this car for him, he was told $80k and 5 years. I’d say they’re doing alright if they can run a show, and complete that kind of workload.

I'm only interested in modified custom stuff so I watch a lot of Roadkill, Roadkill Garage, Hot Rod Garage and Engine Masters. I also recently discovered Uncle Tony's Garage channel on YouTube, THAT guy has some knowledge about Mopars and no annoying TV personality to get in the way. I personally can't stand anything on television, just the format of how info is presented and all the extra crap added to lure in more viewers turns me off really hard. Then there's the ads... sure all the current TV "boxes" can fast-forward, pause etc. but I don't care because I'd never pay to watch television anyway; we haven't had TV service in our house for decades. I don't like my memory being filled with junk or being told what to buy, makes it harder to remember the stuff that actually matters. JMO

I'd say he's right. Most Mopar guys do go for the stock look. Or at least the old ones do. The younger crowd wants comfort and ease, and have no idea what the old cars were like when they weren't old cars. So they make what they want out of them. Mopars are rarer than Ford or GM, a lot more rare, so there was not a big push for making them unique - they were already unique.

Well this went a different direction then I intended, but that is indeed the internet. Anyway, since everyone has expressed their opinion of the show, I might as well share mine. I live less then an hour from GYD, I have never been there, but know someone that has. His take was that the people you see on the show are much more personable when you meet them. He mostly talked to Alyssa and gave him some insight on the past. I do think Mark gets tired of the "made for good TV" moments the film crew throws on him. Also, he made a comment about someone on social media calling Alyssa a fat *** after she had put on a little weight. I can't imagine the show is all positives for him. I personally get tired of the antics, and mainly watch for the cars, and the occasional "how to" gem. I think that Dave leaving is a big hole to fill. He gave the show a great nice guy feel, plus a ton of knowledge that he shared. As for my own personal car, it is a restomod, but will have a lot of original feel. Things like painting the aluminum heads and intake orange, using a Sniper EFI system under an OEM style air cleaner just to name a few. I want to emulate the original car because the original is worth saving, but just make it more drive able with my own personal touches.

There is something about Mopars. Every time I am at a cars and coffee type event people address me as being a Mopar guy I guess because I have a Duster. They don't know that I have owned a 360 powered AMC Gremlin, two V8 Vegas, a 1972 Chevelle, a 1975 Firebird, a 1956 hot rod Chevy, a 1969 Mach 1...and not once with those cars did anyone say I was a Ford, Pontiac or Chevy guy etc.

-
Back