Your Garage Heating System

-

KP

Reaction score
Looking to put heat in my detached two car garage and looking for ideas (Do not really want to take up floor space if possible).

Please post picture of your heating system and how it is vented/exhausted to the out side.

Thank You!

KP

Looking to put heat in my detached two car garage and looking for ideas (Do not really want to take up floor space if possible).

Please post picture of your heating system and how it is vented/exhausted to the out side.

Thank You!

KP

I use 2 of these. 45,000 btu each...natural gas...pipe is thru
the roof. Brand is Hot Dawg

Attachments

• new271 (Medium).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,004
  • new348 (Medium).jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,010
Good ole Florida sun heats my garage too much !!Can't wait for winter !!:blob:

The Sun works pretty good in Southern California as well. Double plus, no summer humidity!

Regards,

Joe Dokes

This depends on whether you do ANY painting or cleaning with flammable chemcals.

Even if not, it would be a VERY wise idea to use a unit type or other heater which puts the burner up high, AND ONE WHICH HAS a separate intake for combustion air, a so-called "sealed" combustion chamber.

But you didn't say what fuel, if any you want to use, or electric?

Be VERY aware of the dangers of combustion devices. Even ignoring the explosion hazard from fumes of painting, cleaning chemicals, etc, chemicals such as in the garage can be VERY corrosive and damaging to the combustion chambers/ burners of heating devices.

I used to maintain this stuff. Even such places as photo development/ print shops, beauty parlors, and laundries, the chemicals in the air in those environments are VERY hard on heat exchangers, both AC and heating.

So, once again, a SEALED burner with outside combustion air is very desirable.

This depends on whether you do ANY painting or cleaning with flammable chemcals.

Even if not, it would be a VERY wise idea to use a unit type or other heater which puts the burner up high, AND ONE WHICH HAS a separate intake for combustion air, a so-called "sealed" combustion chamber.

But you didn't say what fuel, if any you want to use, or electric?

Be VERY aware of the dangers of combustion devices. Even ignoring the explosion hazard from fumes of painting, cleaning chemicals, etc, chemicals such as in the garage can be VERY corrosive and damaging to the combustion chambers/ burners of heating devices.

I used to maintain this stuff. Even such places as photo development/ print shops, beauty parlors, and laundries, the chemicals in the air in those environments are VERY hard on heat exchangers, both AC and heating.

So, once again, a SEALED burner with outside combustion air is very desirable.

Any suggestions/examples/models ?

Any suggestions/examples/models ?

No, just about any of the reliable manufacturers, Lennox, Carrier, etc, make appropriate gear.

What sort of system are you interested in, and what fuel? oil? Nat. gas/ LP? Electric?

Take car out for 15 min ride, come back, open and shut the garage door quickly and pop the hood open. Really helps gets the chill out when its around 45--50 outside.

lol......I thought I remembered this from last year! I use the same old wood pellet stove that I refurbished after putting an LP fireplace in our living room and an LP heater in the computer room. It heats the shop up nice and pellets run around $200 a ton. that's fourty-fifty pound bags. In the middle of the worst winter since I've been using it, I've never used more than a bag and ahalf over an entire weekend. That's bringing a 24' x 30' x 8'6" ceiling up to jeans and t-shirt temperature.This year I want to add some ductwork to the air inlet, to let fresh air into the system for those extended hours we seem to always need,,,,,,,,lol

The reason for my asking to see photos of others heating system set-ups is because I am currently running my gas line and have a York Diamond-90 gas furnace but not sure on the set up. I would really like to hang it put not sure if that is possible...

The reason for my asking to see photos of others heating system set-ups is because I am currently running my gas line and have a York Diamond-90 gas furnace but not sure on the set up. I would really like to hang it put not sure if that is possible...

Depends, is it an upflow, a downflow, or a horizontal?

If you have a corner available you can "burn" for room, then a downflow might be feasable.

Upflows are not normally that practical in a garage, because you must elevate them to get the burner/ electrics "off the floor" for safety, (regulations may vary, about 2') and then your discharge is "way up there."

If it's a horizontal, yeah.

Now, this is a 90% which I believe vents with PVC, but I'm not familiar with these, does it have a SEALED dedicated combustion (fresh air) inlet?

Also, be aware, that a condensing/ 90% furnace MUST not be allowed to freeze. This means that once installed, it must ALWAYS be working in your garage to keep it at least above freezing.

I assume you got this used? I would not necessarily install a 90% furnace in a garage, for the above reason.

showthread.php

Here is mine, runs on propane, but I bought the conversion kit to switch to nat gas, as the house is heated with NG, and the garage is detached. Conversion kit cost $30. I bought mine in the spring time on sale from TSC for around $400. Heats 500 sq ft in no time!! Loves the propane though!!

Attachments

• garage heater.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 944
Picked up a Reznor furnace from a swap meet for $100. It needed a gas valve. Picked one up at Grainger for about $50. I've seen these in warehouses before. It will heat the garage to t-shirt temperature when it's sub-zero outside if you can afford it!

It hangs from ready rod that goes through the ceiling and there are two pieces of angle iron in the attic to spread the load. It's heavy.

Ran a double-wall flue through the garage ceiling and roof. Hole in roof allows clearance all the way around the flue. Then a collar slips over the flue and is properly worked into the shingles to shed rain. Where the flue passes through the ceiling, I used a two-piece collar that guarantees the flue is not in direct contact with anything.

Ran black pipe from my basement through the wall into the garage, up the wall, and across the ceiling. I'm told the flex tube is a no-no as far as code. I should have hard plumbed all the way into the furnace. Oh well. Someday I'll fix it. Oh, I rented a Ridgid pipe die set for the black pipe - only way to fly!

Thermostat is an electronic that goes down to 40 degrees. That way, when I'm not out there, I can keep it just above freezing.

furnace.jpg

Since I can't use any combustible fuels in the shop, I have an electric ceiling-mounted Dayton. It's kind of like this one but has two elements ..... http://www.heater-home.com/product/D-F79.aspx. It works so well in the 1,200 sf building that the second element and fan have never once turned on. :-D It runs on single phase, cycling on for about 10 minutes out of every 40 or 50.

Several pics here. (need to copy and paste link)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307961_200307961?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Heaters&%20Stoves%20+%20Fireplaces-_-Propane%20Heaters-_-173637&ci_sku=173637&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keywor}

These heaters are power vented, quick and easy to run a horizontal vent through the wall. (no need to cut a hole on the roof)

I have a house model downdraft furnace hung from the ceiling on threaded rods that hold the furnace up on it's side.(vertical) Single vent out the roof. Was gas converted to propane.

I have a reverber ray radiant tube heater, you can get them in natural or lp, you can run the exhaust right out the wall, sealed combustion, pretty quiet, not the cheapest but works great.

I have a reverber ray radiant tube heater, you can get them in natural or lp, you can run the exhaust right out the wall, sealed combustion, pretty quiet, not the cheapest but works great.

I also have a radiant tube heater, nice unit, super quiet, sealed combustion chamber.

g-str-jz.gif

i use this it was free

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 809
Heating system? I live in Florida. Here's a photo of my heating system, on high, for those cold nights. MMG

Attachments

• flc.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 781
I have a house model downdraft furnace hung from the ceiling on threaded rods that hold the furnace up on it's side.(vertical) Single vent out the roof. Was gas converted to propane.

Would like the see some pictre of this.

Why did you from gas converted to propane.

http://www.portageandmainboilers.com/

outdoor wood furnace ... but need the open area and supply of wood.
Pipe the hot water into house/garage/shop and neighbour house lol Then to radiator in house/garage.

In the shop I use an old outdoor propane tank cut in half and a door added to the front. That thing can take heat... literally melts your pants off if too close. Burn wood...garbage.. whatever fits.

I always found natural gas and oil burners cold. We just upgraded our house to a corn furnace. about a bushel a day in an old farm house. so at the price of corn $7.00 a day. Only flip the corn furnace on when its really cold out.

-
Back