Zinc oil additives

-
Better use something running a flat tappet cam.

I have used them as well.

rislone-zinc-zddp-e1443532059691.png

You have to be careful though. Lots of them say "ZDDP" on the front and on the back they say something like "CONTAINS NO ZINC OR PHOSPHORUS". Ain't that bout stupid?

I was talking to an oil rep one day and he was totally against using zinc additives that was not formulated in the oil. He basically said that if wasn't in the oil, then it probably wouldn't mix in the oil and may just lay in the bottom of the pan. He wasn't selling any special oil to me just a conversation about zinc in oils vs additives.

I was talking to an oil rep one day and he was totally against using zinc additives that was not formulated in the oil. He basically said that if wasn't in the oil, then it probably wouldn't mix in the oil and may just lay in the bottom of the pan. He wasn't selling any special oil to me just a conversation about zinc in oils vs additives.
I'm not too sure about that, although I have wondered about it. I do use oil with ZDDP already formulated in, though.

I have a different answer.
I went to an auction over the weekend, and ended up with a shitload of oil from back in the day, all in CANS not bottles. I mean the kind of cans that you need to punch the top of with a spout...... I'm pretty well set for oil from back when my 70s and 80s engines were new.....that's after last fall when I went and bought 4 cases (case now =only 6 cans.... WTF) of ZR1 to break in my /6....

I have a different answer.
I went to an auction over the weekend, and ended up with a shitload of oil from back in the day, all in CANS not bottles. I mean the kind of cans that you need to punch the top of with a spout...... I'm pretty well set for oil from back when my 70s and 80s engines were new.....that's after last fall when I went and bought 4 cases (case now =only 6 cans.... WTF) of ZR1 to break in my /6....
....and you'll likely have not ONE single problem.

I'm not too sure about that, although I have wondered about it. I do use oil with ZDDP already formulated in, though.
I can't say for sure either. I always ran oil with it in it, I don't want to risk my junk.

Flat tappet cam: VR-1 10w-30 is my go to if I have some valve spring pressure. If it has the weak stock valve springs of a stock engine, and if it's already been broken in with some miles on it, I will just use Rotella T4.
  • Yes, i have used different types of zinc additives and they have worked as well, including ZDDPMAXX

It's easy enough to find oil that already has ZDDP, if you make an effort. I agree that the additive is likely to just sink to the bottom of the sump and stay there (metal being heavier than oil).

Oil recommendation: Mobil1 15W50 is specifically formulated for flat tappet engines and contains over 1200ppm zinc. Readily available at O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc.

Of course this is written by Rislone that produces a additive. I'm putting some in my Valvoline Conventional. If some of you believe it has to be mixed with the oil in the bottle that's your choice. If you want to pay $9-10 a quart for some hot rod oil that's your choice. The Effects of Zinc Oil Additives on Older Engines | Rislone.
Prior to last year a 3 pack of 5quart jugs of vr1 could be had on Amazon for $65. It's more now, but I'm switching to maxima this year.

Vice Grip Garage says diesel oil like Shell Rotella has all the onions for old flat tappet engines. I use Amsoil Z-Rod that is specially formulated for flat tappet engines but it's darn near $20.00 a quart right now. It works great for me though so I break out the wallet.

Mobil1 FS 0W-40 is a fully formulated oil, so no mixing needed. It has 1000 ppm ZDDP. It meets all the high zoot Porsche, VW, and Mercedes Euro specs, which are more demanding than the American and Asian standards. Five quarts for around $25 at Wally World. The head guy at HPL says it's the best bargain out there.

Use oil that has Zn/Ph in it. It will be in the correct proportion....& chemical formula.

:eek::BangHead::rolleyes:idunno What th' hell to do... I'm running Rotella T with some ZDDP Additive in it. (In a Fresh under a 1000miles Solid Cam 273)
Also using a Recreational Gas that has No Ethanol with a Lead Additive in it.
I've been told That's Wrong! Getting ready to do the Spring Oil Change and uh, maybe I better check with Uncle Tony!?

I lost a cam that was running fine for years.....not long after I switched to this oil:

37 R.JPG

Seems like a winner, right? Synthetic, extra ZDDP ....

39 R.JPG

Uhhh....

40 R.JPG

SN is a VERY high detergent oil.
THIS is bad because the detergent wipes away the ZDDP. What sense does this make? Add ZDDP to the oil but also add in detergents that don't allow it to cling and protect?

What has changed in the last 20 years?
Yeah, the oil has changed but there are oils that still protect.
Bigger cams, stiffer valvesprings are a factor but what about the camshaft and lifters?
Testing has shown that most aftermarket cams and lifters have similar hardness as stuff from the 70s so it may not be a matter of metal durability.
What is left to blame?
Some claim that the cams don't have enough taper and the lifters don't have enough crown. These two things MUST exist to allow the lifters to spin. A lifter that does not spin will fail.

Do you have any proof that the detergent wipes way the Zn? The Zn is sacrificial. My understanding is it bonds to metals with engine heat but does wear off, requiring fresh oil to start the process over again.

Running same oil with Lucas, solid flat tappet. I'll bet the **** mixes. "Sit on the bottom"?? Then it'll be 1st to the pump and 1st to the top....
:eek::BangHead::rolleyes:idunno What th' hell to do... I'm running Rotella T with some ZDDP Additive in it. (In a Fresh under a 1000miles Solid Cam 273)
Also using a Recreational Gas that has No Ethanol with a Lead Additive in it.
I've been told That's Wrong! Getting ready to do the Spring Oil Change and uh, maybe I better check with Uncle Tony!?

I run Valvoline VR1 Racing oil in my stuff with solid lifters.My 65 Valiant slant gets it and so does my 75 Moto Guzzi motorcycle. This oil has zinc in it as well as anti foaming additives . Been using it for 15 years now

engine-oil-supplement-500x500.jpg

I have been using this for over 10 years. A lot of my car friends use it as well.

Since I now days ee so many failed cam issues with NEW engines, I have decided to save my pennies and keep right on using nothing but old 60 year old pretty much wore out engines!!! Penny proud and a $ :poke: smart!????? ha :BangHead: :steering: :realcrazy: :rofl: :rofl:

-
Back