1.6 ratio BB

-

tarvin890

tarvin890
Reaction score
what are the downfalls or upsides to going to 1.6 ratio...when can you and cant you? performance gains? hazard areas?

Pushrod clearance, sufficient valve spring pressure and retainer to rocker arm clearance are things that need to be checked also. S/F....Ken M

yes on all the above.
going to 1.6 is supposed to be worth 10-20 HP depending on rest of build. 1.5 to 1.6 adds approx 3 degrees duration at .05 lift, so then check the "intensity" by subtracting the new .05 duration from seat duration. Don't want the result to be smaller than Voodoo/CompXE numbers. So they say the rocker ratio change should not be done/wont work out if you already have a fast acting cam. But...I notice the CompXE solid lobes are the same for Mopar/Ford/Chevy meaning those lobes will handle any rocker ratio 1.5 to 1.7. Just food for thought.

About the only time "I" would opt for higher than stock ratio rockers is if I already had a cam and it was a little short on lift for what I wanted. Other than that, I just pick the cam with the right amount of lift. I know people say it doesn't just give more lift it speeds up the rate.....and that's true, but my GOD is it ever splittin hairs.

-
Back