1 bbl carb

-

MichiDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 71 Dart Swinger with a 198. Starting running poorly a few weeks ago after a day of a lot of driving. Much has been done since including a new gas tank and pickup/sender (old tank was really bad) plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel pump, carb rebuild (but original float), ballast resistor. Still having problems which I believe is still the carb. Odd thing is it will occassionally run ok for a few seconds or even a short drive but will return to hesitating, stalling. I have the Holley 1920 and have read here that a lot of you prefer the Carter bbs. But I really cannot find either available new or rebuilt so figured putting it out to you guys was the next step. My end game for this car is to put a 318 4 bbl in but for now I just want to get back on the road. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm in the metro Detroit area

You're not lookin hard. Autoline C6018 in stock at RockAuto.

Thanks RRR. Ordered the Carter from Rock. I know I checked them a couple weeks ago, must have been stuck on replacing the Holley at the time. My mistake. I think I read also that there is a difference in linkage setup. Guess I'll tackle that when the carb is delivered, unless someone wants to chime in on that. It is an automatic trans,

Thanks RRR. Ordered the Carter from Rock. I know I checked them a couple weeks ago, must have been stuck on replacing the Holley at the time. My mistake. I think I read also that there is a difference in linkage setup. Guess I'll tackle that when the carb is delivered, unless someone wants to chime in on that. It is an automatic trans,
I think there are some small differences. Nothing that cannot be over come easily. IMO, the Carter is a much better piece.

Hi MichiDart
I also have a '71 198ci and it's equipped with an Autoline C6018 carburetor, which is in fact a rebuilt Carter Ball & Ball. Not recent, but works like a charm.
Here are some pictures of the carb in situation
If you need a more precise picture of the linkage, just ask

François

Carb2.jpg

20220420_111546.jpg

Carter carb.jpg

Thanks French. Carb went on pretty easy. Might be interested in pics showing vac line setup. Unfortunately carb switch did not solve my issue. Next guess is fuel line from tank to under hood. Getting to the point I may take it to "professionals". It needed all the new stuff I put on but I need to find the cause of it running poorly.

-
Back