10 year old tires ok for highway driving?

-
10 year old tires in AZ would be black powder on the ground. my dad had 5-6 year old tires in his beater work truck (spends most of its life sitting in his back yard and is only driven about 2-3 times a year) wel to go use it the other day to run to home depot to get a sheet of plywood, and as he drove away he left the treads behind. they looked just like the retreads when the tread comes off. then he called me begging to barrow my 3 week old (to me) 2006 hemi ram. so he could get his plywood and i said come get the keys. (it had allready pulled the duster and my 04 ram and had seen more car parts in the bed in those 3 weeks than my 04 saw in the 5 years i owned it.

Wow, I had a nice set of tires on the rims stored in my garage, stacked, proper air, towel between each tire and armor all'ed down. Went out to the garage to find the top tire seperated just like that picture that has been posted. The tire was right at 12 years old at the time. Since then, I do not store any tires.

My concern are all the spares out there in trunks that have the same risk of seperation. I wonder if any of these temp spares hold up better than a traditional tire.

Ever since they did away with state inspection stickers in SC people drive until the air is shooting out the tires. I install auto glass for a living and see alot of different type cars .... you wouldn't believe what people will ride around on.

It would be cheaper to get new tires than to have to repair a fender or quarter panel.

I ha this same discussion with a friend a few years ago about his '70 Dart (I ended uo owning this car too), I told him new tires are cheaper than a tire problem. He calls me about a week later to say I was right - he had a blowout at night in the rain and the tire tread flopping around tore off his fuel line. He didn't want to change a tire in the rain at night in a puddle of gas. He got it towed and it wasn't cheap.

Tire rubber is an organic compound and it will degrade over time. It doesn't matter if it is stored indoors or outside they will eventually rot. They will last longer indoors but will still eventually go bad. It is called "de-gassing". Go to any motorcycle tire site and you will find that they recommend using no tire past 6 years old.

Sure it may look fine but the chances of a failure go up as the tire gets older.

Chuck

Ten years is kind of borderline in my book. I'm not a fan of blow-outs. I've had one tame one and one that went like a Cup car on the high banks The latter one flopped around enough to wrap steel threads around fender brace, unplug fender mounted turn signal, and two screws that secured fender wheel opening trim. IMO, if in doubt, swap 'em out.

DSCN2185sh.JPG

IMG_6533s.JPG

Ten years is kind of borderline in my book. I'm not a fan of blow-outs. I've had one tame one and one that went like a Cup car on the high banks The latter one flopped around enough to wrap steel threads around fender brace, unplug fender mounted turn signal, and two screws that secured fender wheel opening trim. IMO, if in doubt, swap 'em out.

I, also, am not a fan of blow outs. Here's mine on H101 late last year doing about 70 when it let go. Blowouts = zero fun.

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

I suppose it all depends in what climate/weather condition they have been in.
The tires I have on my Duster are BFG's from mid 80's, and they don't lose air, not dry rotted/cracked.
If there's any sign of dryness on them, don't chance it, get cheap used ones to get you home safely.

-
Back