172 tooth flywheel in a hemi barracuda?

-

ssba

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using the 172 tooth flywheel in a scatter shield on their A-body?
This is what I have:
68 barracuda Hemi k- member and mounts
ansen blow proof bell (similar to Lakewood but takes the earlier fork boot) 69ish?
Scheifer aluminum flywheel 172 tooth & scheifer aluminum 11" pressure plate
Aluminum 18 spline 4-speed from early 70s

I have learned this flywheel requires a factory direct drive Hemi starter from 69 or
a Rob Carr(spelling) clockable solenoid aftermarket race starter.
Does anyone know if this will or won't work in a A-body. I believe the 172 flywheels only came factory in the 69 hemi b-body.
I don't want to purchase a starter to find out it won't work for some reason I'm not aware of.
Neither of these starter options are inexpensive as far as starters are concerned.
Hope someone has been here before me to steer me in the right direction using these old school out dated race parts.
I wanted to post a few pictures to help out but they must not have been sized correctly.

Really, not even one post? Looks like I'm in uncharted territory on this one.
No 172 tooth flywheels out their in A-body land?

Really, not one post? Must be I'm in uncharted territory here on this one.
No 172 tooth flywheels out there in A-body land?:sad7:

Sorry for the double post. Ugh.

I was told the ansen shields actually work better than the Lakewood ones -I had to move the ballstud bracket on my lakewood as it hit the firewall even though I have the older 2pc shield

You want to verify the 172 tooth wheel will fit inside the Ansen shield and the starter position is correct ( the Lakewood has 2 positions for the starter nose depending on flywheel diameter)

I am thinking you won't have an issue with the Ansen as it was sold when all you had was the direct drive starter but I would mock everything up

Building a Hemi Barracuda you should be used to mocking things up by now ... I just found posts from 2005 I made about my car and I am still not finished - nothing like deciding to switch to a 4 speed just when you have the car almost done.

ssaahemifan, thanks for the encouraging input and getting me to look at this a little closer. It does seem the ansen would fit the trans tunnel better as it isn't so squared off at the top as a Lakewood. The ansen does have two starter mounting positions same as the Lakewood also. 130 & 143. Possibly 172 since they are the same diameter as the 143. Just a shallower pitch on the ring gear teeth.
So I took a closer peek at the flywheels and it looks as if I can swap the ring gear from 172 to 143 tooth to side step the rare (expensive) starter problem associated with the 172 tooth flywheel.
So it seems as long as a 11" clutch can be used in a Hemi A-body with enough clearance for z-bar and other clutch linkage hardware to function. It could work. Possibly with high torque lightweight starter.
The next question would be if 67-69 383 cars used the 11" clutch.

I looked on brewers online catalog at their list of bellhousing. They are showing
the 67-69 383 cars using the 130 tooth flywheel.
I will likely have to modify z bar pivot on bell housing to use the ansen scatter shield as posted above.
I may not have any problems with the 11" clutch so long as I have a fork that lines up correctly. As posted above mock it up. Thanks for the input.

-
Back