1964 Plymouth Valiant-Coolant Issue

-

ConValiant64

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1964 Plymouth Valiant with a 318. After having a bit of work done, it was evident that the car was sitting for some time (brake fluid congealed, gas smelled/looked foul, etc). Temp gauge was faulty, so I replaced the sensor. After doing so, noticed temperature was on the high side of the factory gauge, so I had a 160 degree thermostat put in. Still runs hot. Got it to running temp the other day in driveway and took the radiator cap off. No flow/circulation of coolant at all. Coolant is green, just doesn't move anywhere. For now, I'm assuming the thermostat works. I am also assuming that given the evidence of long-term storage, the radiator could benefit from a good flushing. My quandary: If I decide to flush, what is the danger of possible motor damage (ie freeze plugs/head gasket leaks, etc)? Would I be better served installing a new radiator and avoid what could be the beginning of many problems, or is there something more obvious I should be addressing?

put an early a , e-bay aluminum radiator in it . around $150 and you can paint it black for the stock look if desired.

I have cleaned out many rads with white vinegar and it works great. Lay the rad on the ground fill with white vinegar, it will take about 1 gal and let it set for a couple hours. Flush it out with garden hose, if there is still a bunch of calcium inside redo. If it has a bunch of holes you will find them. To neutralize use crystal draino,
get a gal of water and add some crystal draino. It will get hot but after it cools stir it around and fill rad, after a couple min drain and flush with hose, reinstall.

-
Back