1968 318/340 Pulley/Bracket Help Needed!

-

rob_robinson87

Reaction score
I need a favor from you all with original 1968-69 small block cars with TRW power steering pumps (large notch in the rear). I need a good picture of the bracket and pump installed. Here is why (might help you in shooting a digital image):

When I bought my car from the original owner, it had an aftermarket A/C system (1968-69 Montgomery Wards Unit) installed which used a large York compressor mounted on the driver side of the 318. I have removed those A/C brackets and am rebulding a stroker 340 to replace the 318. I planned on recycling the dampner and all pulleys and brackets. Now that I have started looking closer at the crank pulley and the power steering bracket, they don't look original and I wonder if they were part of the kit for the aftermarket A/C and changed then.

Specifically, my current power steering bracket is a bare metal welded one piece unit (made to fit the pump) that has the TRW pump (has large notch in the back of the pum) sitting at an angle to the right when installed. I think it is sitting slightly lower than stock but I can't be sure.

The crank pulley is a bare metal heavy iron piece that is 3 groove and bolts directly to the dampner. Currently, it looks like everything lines up, but with the plan on installing a newer A/C set up, I'm concerned I'll run into alignment issues since most likely the ClassicAir brackets are designed for original pulleys.

Just as a bit of information, my waterpump pulley looks original.

Any information you can provide will be most helpful! If I find out this bracket and pulley is not original, I'll be looking for those. Anyone with an original lower dual groove pulley and power steering bracket for sale, please let me know!

Well, I figured out that both the power steering bracket and the crank pulley came with the original Montgomery Wards A/C unit. I have found a replacement P/S bracket, but am now looking for a dual lower pulley for a 1968 car (small block). Anyone have a decent one I can purchase?

-
Back