1968 A-body 4-speed Console Question

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
Years back after purchasing my console, I pulled the rotted carpet off the sides and found there is a fiberglass (I think) side cover by the shifter LHS. The cover was still stuck to the carpet.
I left it on the bench at my Dad's and returned the folling Saturday to install new carpet and found he threw away the carpet on me.:BangHead: I knew I'd never find another. Does anyone have one for sale or to borrow? I'm thinking of making a couple from a Plastic 3-D copier.
Sorry no pics.
Thanks

Here is a pic of the underside of the original shifter cover from a 1969 console from my Barracuda. The cover appears to be made of a cardboard or similar thick paper
69 b'cuda console.JPG

with some rubberized coating on it. Then you can see where it looks like it was hit with undercoating (factory AC car thus undercoated; undercoated after car is together?). You can see additional coating on the underside of the carpet to help stiffen the area. Perhaps dried glue from placing the cover on the carpet. I can take some measurements if helpful. Almost looks like you could model a replacement from a ball cap or other curved item.

That's it. I have the clip on LHS of your pic but am missing the one one the other side. I might try making one of cardboard and giving it a coat of resin or 2 to make it stable.

I wet a peice of cardboard and shaped it. Now it's dry and maintaining the shape. I'm going to coat it with resin 1 side at atime then thichen it with some matting. I send some pics once I get back to it.

console.jpeg

Well didn't get many pics but I coated it with resin and then apllied a layer of matt on both sides. It worked out good but I see it's supposed to be more bubble shaped . It doesn't interfer with the shifter so I'm happy.

Console 1.jpeg

Console 2.jpeg

Console 3.jpeg

Console 4.jpeg

-
Back