1968 Barracuda 318 Smoking....good compression

-
rebuilt carb this week. rather dirty inside. clean now. the car is blowing black carbon out the exhaust.....and is running rich. no more blue. I dont know what to do now. idle's nice, just smokes like a mack truck. The plugs were black and chalky, a box sitting behind the exhaust is blackened, covered with carbon.......what next??

Sounds like you have the float in the carb set too high or the spark plugs are so fouled that they cannot fire the mixture proper.

Don't run it much like this, you may be washing the cylinders down with gas.
Have you changed the oil recently? Does it smell like gas?

I will give that a whirl, one of my buddies has one of those...I will borrow it and give it a shot. Should the butterfly be wide open when the car is up to temp? Im thinking that could be the issue because the max I have seen it open is about 1/4" fully warm. An old man once told me that the intakes get clogged up with carbon and sometimes can effect the operation of the old choke's....

I just changed the plugs the other day after the rebuild, pulled one after the car ran for about a half hour and the plugs were still clean...oddly, and yes I changed the oil the day I got the car. it did smell like gas, thats why I went after the carb to rebuild.

After running for 10 min. Cold start....should butterfly be wide open??

Attachments

• 20141214_112631.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 175
I would temporary wire the choke open and see how it is drives.

I'm going to give that a shot...take it for a ride tomorrow. Is there a way to reload the choke coil like older chevy's?

No but you can still buy them new at NAPA.

Or NAPA sell a hand choke kit you can convert it over to a cable.

You may be able to reindex the coil spring, take a look at it. What base gasket is on the carb. You should be using the thick fiber one. A thicker gasket would give you less choke apply, Did you check the vacuum choke pull off to make sure it is not leaking. Did you set the choke pull off linkage to spec?

I have the thick gasket. Came in the napa rebuild kit. I chedked the pull off with my thumb over the vacuum inlet...it held well. I left the linkage (looked stock) as it was when i got the car.

If it runs good tomorrow try re-indexing the coil spring. If that's not possible you can also cut the rod shorter and bend a new 90* to reattach.

If it runs good tomorrow try re-indexing the coil spring. If that's not possible you can also cut the rod shorter and bend a new 90* to reattach.

I don"t think you can re-index them.

Good idea, but mark the rod un-hooked from the carb about an inch or so up from the manifold when cold.
Check how much it pulls in when when warmed up.

Hook it back up and see if it will actually move enough to close the choke.

My guess the heat passage in the heads and intake is plugged off, or somebody changed the intake gasket and blocked the heat passage off.

Or the choke spring is just fatigued where it no longer works.

An old man told me to check the intake passages...by feel....he said if they get warm within 30 seconds of the car running than its fine...mine does

Maybe this is the way to go maybe that is the way to go. How about actually DIAGNOSING something before just doing something out of sheer guessing? Sounds like a bowl of stupid goin on to me.

Thats what i'm trying to do. Doesent take a detective to figure that out. Im not familiar with mopar engines. If you dont have anything useful to contribute, than why bother posting? BTW the diagnosis is more likely than not a choke or carb issue. I got that from everyone's previous posts.

I've seen older engines with good compression smoke because the oil control rings are worn out, weak and not doing their job. They will let oil get by them and get to the compression rings causing the smoke. Just sayin.

So after much work I was able to get the car running....(with no black smoke) now, my new problem is no matter how much I screw with the air/fuel it backfires out the carb and will stall out going up hills. I have no goddamn Idea any more.......

Thats what i'm trying to do. Doesent take a detective to figure that out. Im not familiar with mopar engines. If you dont have anything useful to contribute, than why bother posting? BTW the diagnosis is more likely than not a choke or carb issue. I got that from everyone's previous posts.

I have been giving useful advice. Even that which you replied to was useful. I suggested actually diagnosing it, instead of listening to several different suggestions on a forum and running in several directions at once. But you missed it.

Pick one thing. Diagnose its operation. If it checks out. Move onto the next. You're not doing that. You also have yet to answer whether your choke is working properly. You post a pic and say "this is what it looks like after 10 minutes".

Sometimes, 10 minutes is not enough to open the choke. You never came back and answered whether or not the choke ever opens completely. If you give us half *** answers, expect to get half *** suggestions.

These cars are not rocket science. Do you have a factory Chrysler service manual? Not Haynes. Not Chiltons, but CHRYSLER. You can find them on Ebay, OR they are available on this site as a free download for some models. Unless you have a factory service manual, you might as well be selling pencils out of a cup on the street corner.

We cannot do it for you over the internet. "What some old guy told you" is useless as tits on a boarhog when it comes to actual hands on diagnosis.

If it's cold out, it could take as long as 15-20 minutes for the choke to come completely off. Have you held the choke open with something after it is warm to see whether the rest of the carburetor performs as it should?

You've been given lots of ideas. You're the one who originally suspected the carburetor, so carburetor advice was given. We're not mind readers and one of my cats knocked my crystal ball off on the floor and broke it. Unless you follow through with answers after you've been given suggestions, you're going to get nowhere. We're trying to help. Every single one of us. Telling me to not contribute after I HAVE and then become frustrated because of YOUR incomplete answers ain't the way to attract good help.

Service manual. Get one.

selling pencils out of a cup on a street corner?
dont take this personal,he has a point.you said you rebuilt the carb,make sure the choke is working.plugs=dry and black or wet and black?

Rustyratrod.....i owe you an apology. The answer was right in front of my nose man. The car was a mile out of time. The po told me he timed the car.....which im sure he did; however not tightening the hold down can result in a mess after towing it home 800 miles. LESSON LEARNED;TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED; LISTEN TO THOES WHO KNOW THE ANSWER.
-SORRY
JIM.
MERRY CHRISTMAS.
(Brown bag over head with eyes cut out)

Apology not necessary. I beat up on you a little bit. I'm sorry too. I am glad you got it licked. Like a cat and his ***. LMAO

Merry Christmas.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here.. I didn't see where the smoking issue was resolved, and I think you're gonna find bad valve seals. They are easy to replace, and cheap to buy. Just make sure you have a decent air compressor and the right air fitting to hold the valve from falling down into the hole after you remove the retainers..

-
Back